Kidney disease and feeding raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Kidney disease and feeding raw

Took Zipper, who is almost 16, in for her blood checkup yesterday and the vet just called me - concerned. Looks like her thyroid is still very elevated and that there is evidence of kidney disease (compared several blood panels to today's). He recommended giving her her meds 3X a day vs. twice. I have been feeding Zipper about 50% of her meals as raw but now I'm wondering if I've been hurting her more than helping. I seem to remember reading that raw and kidney disease is not compatible. Any thoughts from the nutrition savvy members here?

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 12:52 PM
Cat Addict

What were the lab results, Marcia? And what meds?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff & Nala
Simon and Penny, waiting patiently at the Bridge
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

She is on thyroid medication - .5mg twice a day. It's called methimazole. I didn't get a copy of the lab results. I didn't think to ask for an emailed copy at the time when they called and when I tried to call back an hour later to discuss the raw diet he was gone for the day. He did say that the previous lab results showed increasing progression of kidney failure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Senior Cat

I don't know for sure either but I did read that the recipe needs to be adjusted for kidney disease kitties. Dr Pierson from catinfo does phone/skype consults if you send her a copy of the lab. I have no idea what she charges, but might be worth finding out?

Sent from Petguide.com App

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 02:43 PM
Banned

My cat who I lost in October had CRF, along with hyperthyroidism, and at the end IBD as well. So I did some research along these lines, especially at Tanya's CRF site:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Which Foods to Feed, and Which to Avoid

Most vets will tell you they need low protein, and of course a raw diet doesn't qualify on that score, but many people believe that protein is not as big of an issue as phosphorous, which needs to be low. And as always the bottom line is to feed them what they will eat when all else fails, because if they don't eat then whatever food you are trying to feed them will do them no good.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 03:54 PM
Cool Cat

Anything can happen to anyone at any time regardless of their situations. People who have been in clean air and never smoked a day in their life develop lung cancer all the time.

The healthy feeding is for quality of life then and now, and *potentially* lowering the possibility of complications in the future.

I don't know enough about nutrition to help out, sorry Marcia!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Cool Cat

our angel is 12 1/2 now and she was diagnosed with stage 2 kidney disease @10 months ago. with everything we've read on the forums, we were a bit paranoid in going 100% Hill's Science Diet and Royal Canin Kidney diets, so although we DO feed her the prescirption stuff (it's @1/2 of her total intake), we do feed her a mix of a lot of other tasty stuff for the other half of her diet. that includes a lot of things we found with under 1% phosphorus content, but still with high protein:

Tiki Cat Molokai Luau
Merrick's BG Purrfect Bistro Cowboy Cookout
Organix by Nature Turkey & Turkey Liver

and for RAW:
Darwin Chicken
Radcat Lamb
Nature's Variety Duck/organic chicken/beef/rabbit
and she also gets little bites of Raw Advantage chicken meat from their chicken necks as well as the beef chunks maybe once/week

as you can see, she gets a LOT of variety-probably more than she really needs, but we like to spoil her

i HAVE heard that the bones in Raw food is high in phosphorus which is one of the reasons some people might avoid it, but i figure (and hopefully i figure right) that if the overall phosphorus level is <1%, then it's probably "OK". plus we DO take out as many of the little bits of bone that we CAN feel out of the Darwin, which is the only one that doesn't really grind them up. Radcat uses eggshell vs. bone apparently for calcium, btw.

Angel just loves the raw so much that we couldn't stop giving it to her all together. she is so much more lively on it and when we started giving it to her BEFORE we found out about the kidney thing, she reacted like a lot of other kitties i've heard about - i.e. she acted like a energetic little kitten again!

anyway, that's been our experience with raw.

p.s. angel also gets a phosphorus binder in her food, takes pepcid for her ulcers (due to the kidney problems i guess), and gets 100 ml of fluid every other night, and she seems to have been stable for the last 10 months. she has another check up in February, so hopefully nothing has changed still...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty-The-Cat View Post
Seems to me that when a cat reaches the age of 16, anything can happen no matter what his/her diet had been.
I agree. She IS old and looks and acts it too, but is still very loving and interactive with us so we'll just hope for the best. I'll check out that diet, Heather72754, thanks. The doc said that there is a history of progressive kidney failure for her so I'm sure the end is not terribly far off now, probably next year sometime. We've almost been expecting to lose her for the past year but she keeps hanging in there. As long as she is eating and other vital functions seem to be doing ok we'll nurse her along.

From the link Heather provided The best food for CKD cats "...is a food that the cat will eat. I'm not trying to be flippant here. You can source the most expensive, organic, wholesome food on the planet, but if your cat would rather starve than eat it, it is of no use whatsoever. "

Last edited by Marcia; 12-19-2013 at 06:01 PM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:05 PM
Premier Cat

Marcia, so sorry to hear about Zipper...
I sure hope someone versed on this issue can help you and Zipper out...
Hugs and prayers
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Banned

You're welcome Marcia - I know I got a lot out of that site when I needed to learn about kidney disease. And as far as the raw diet goes, as you saw at Tanya's site there is a lot of controversy about whether or not it is appropriate to feed a CKD cat low protein in the first place, and you haven't even been feeding raw that long anyway even if it was an issue. How is Zipper doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page