Throwing up his raw food. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Throwing up his raw food.

I'm back again, getting Moggy on raw is taking a turn for the worst

The past two days Moggy has thrown up his raw food about an hour after eating it. As soon as he vomits he starts asking for food again. He is acting normal in every other way, litter box activity is normal.

When I was cleaning up the vomit I noticed lots of bone bits and got a little worried that the bone bits coming back up might cut him: assuming they come back out with more force than going down.

I gave him some wet food and he kept it down. Then I tried some raw again and he threw it up.

The raw that he throws up is cornish game hen. He has been eating the game hen just fine for over two weeks. I've tried him with some beef and some pork but he is refusing it. He is also refusing liver at this time.

I have not fed him any raw in about 18 hours and he has not thrown up again.

Things I noticed:
The chunks that he threw up seemed to contain some rather large pieces of meat.
Is it possible that he is not breaking up his food enough and his stomach is rejecting the large chunks?
The bone bits are about the size of a pea, but did have sharp points. I was quiet surprised at how large some of the meat chunks were

When he eats his raw food he does not appear to be guzzling it down and I do see him gnawing at it. But I think the gnawing is him shaping it to where it fits down his throat.

Is it possible that he is allergic to raw chicken (his favorite raw food)? The wet food I have him on now is a chicken, turkey & lamb grain free and he keeps it down.

I have a shipment ordered at Hare Today and was planning on feeding him chunked meat along with the ground from Hare Today. I also have several different proteins coming from Hare Today to try and vary his diet more.
The plan is to also order some frozen mice, quail, chicks etc for whole prey food (as soon as I can afford it). The cost of frozen feeders from local pet store is too high to buy any more than a few a week. He has eaten pinkies and mice already, but he was also eating cornish hen then without issue.

On another note:
He tested positive for roundworms two weeks ago and had his first worm dose then. He is due for the second does this week, I am going to give it to him on Friday night.
Is there any chance that the roundworm eggs have hatched and are causing him to reject the raw meat?
Before he got his first worm dose he was vomiting quiet a bit, then seteled down after the initial dose (he had one very bad day right after the dose from the medicine).

For now I will keep him on the wet food only as I will be away from home tomorrow for several hours and don't want him to be dealing with all that on his own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moggy: 5 +/- year old DSH, neutered male.
Former stray who found us on Nov 09, 2013.

~ Lorna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM
Premier Cat

Most of your questions I can't answer. I think if it was me I would try something other than the Cornish hens - chicken or turkey. I use young fryer chickens (whole) and grind the entire chicken using a 1/2" hole disk. The raw is the ONLY thing they don't throw up, except once when I tried to give them venison.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you Marcia!

I'm having a hard time sourcing lots of variety, that is why I placed an order with Hare Today to add more meat choices. They do not ship again until after Jan 06, so I think I'll just keep him on wet food for now and start back again with raw in about 2 weeks.

I was trying to research some reasons for throwing up raw food and one that popped up was swallowing chunks that are too large (among the food being too cold, allergies etc.). When I start him on raw again I will cut the chunks of food into smaller pieces and see if that helps him.

I will also try a few whole mice again this weekend or early next week, although I really do not like the thought of having to clean up a regurgitated mouse if it happens

Also not looking forward to the stinky poo that will no doubt me grazing the litter boxes at any moment now , the non smelly poos after raw food are a breeze to deal with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'm not sure what to think at this point.

The order from Hare Today arrived yesterday, everything was nicely frozen solid and all the products look amazing.

I defrosted some quail and gave him a tablespoon of it for his lunch. Within 10 minutes he had vomited it up, the lip licking started after 5 mins

The last two times he has eaten anything raw he has thrown it up within 10 minutes. He will eat it readily and really does seem to want to eat raw food, his body just rejects it immediately. This is so disappointing to me as I know it is the best possible food for him.

My initial thoughts were that he was possibly eating chunks that were too large or was having a reaction to chicken. But the quail is ground up and very similar to the texture of wet food. He doesn't eat the raw offerings any faster than he eats wet food either.

Has anyone heard of a cat who simply can not eat raw?

He has also thrown up beef. In the past 10 days I have offered him game hen, beef, chicken and quail. He was unable to keep any of it down. He has absolutely no issues with wet food. He also ate some cooked pork and cooked chicken with no issues.

I am at a total loss with this and am very reluctant to give him any more raw food (ground quail is not pleasant to have to clean up off a carpet).

Do you guys think I should just give up on the raw food?
Is there a better way to introduce it to his system? I have mixed some raw with wet food and that also gets thrown up. It seems that any hint of raw causes vomiting.
I'm not sure if I should start cooking the raw and then gradually cook it less and less.

Perhaps I should not offer raw for several weeks and try again?

I am so utterly confused and feel so horrible to be giving him food that makes him regurgitate. He gets so upset when all this is happening to him, after he gets rid of the food the poor guy runs away from it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ Lorna.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 12:51 PM
Banned

Aww, poor guy. It must be so disheartening to be feeding him what you know to be the best nutritionally and yet seem to be 'making' him sick. To be honest I have barely begun to investigate and use raw feeding myself so I have no idea what could be going on. I would say ask a vet, but sadly vets know so little about raw feeding generally, and also generally are against it. I am sure other experienced raw feeders on here though will be able to share their experience with you.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 AM
Banned

Two thumbs up for the pork - my two LOVE the pork roast I've been chunking up for them. It is, hands down, their favorite meat.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you so much for the replies!

I tried one ounce of quail again this morning and made absolutely sure that it was nice and warm before feeding. He didn't keep it down and started the heaving within the 10 minute time frame
I made sure to have a light playing (hunting) session with him before breakfast to get his tummy juices going before feeding him to see if that would help him.

He seems totally fine with wet food, no heaving or lip licking after eating it, but if I try to mix in some raw to it he will throw it up.

I'll take the advice and stay on wet food for a few weeks and try again very slowly. In he mean time I will try to find some rabbit meat (I have 4 lbs of rabbit organs in my freezer). I actually have about $100 of beautiful raw meats in the freezer right now, the mini freezer that I persuaded my husband to buy for raw Moggy foods. The hubby is going to pitch a serious fit over all the expense and the fact that Moggy is unable to eat all this food

I have not tried pork chop meat yet, he has had pork tongue and ate it ok, this was during the time he was eating raw without issues. He had about 2 + weeks were he was eating raw and doing very well on it.

He has had his second deworming dose since I created this thread and it went a lot better than the first dose

~ Lorna.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Cat Addict

Are you feeding him the meat when it's cold? Jitzu will sometimes toss up raw meat if it's too chilly, in that case it's the cold that's being rejected.

Try serving the meat at room temp or a little warmer and see if that makes a difference.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
Are you feeding him the meat when it's cold? Jitzu will sometimes toss up raw meat if it's too chilly, in that case it's the cold that's being rejected.

Try serving the meat at room temp or a little warmer and see if that makes a difference.
Thank you librarychick!

I've been offering it warm. Prior to this morning I would float the food, in a bag, in lukewarm water. This morning I put it in hot tap water and made sure that it was warm (not hot, a little above room temp) before serving it. But I did serve it on an unwarmed glass plate.

I am going to take a break from trying raw food for a few weeks and will start back very slowly. I just can't imagine what is causing him to reject different raw foods.

On a side note: I do have freeze dried raw bison treats (liver and tripe) that he gets on occasion and he never shows the same signs with that. But of course he is only getting a very tiny amount of the freeze dried raw bison at a time.

Could he have possibly got it into his head that raw doesn't agree with him? Can a cat decide that it can't eat a certain type of food and mentally convince themselves to regurgitate it? I feel like I sound like a crazy person asking those questions

~ Lorna.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page