How often do raw-fed cats poop? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

How often do raw-fed cats poop?

Around 10 days ago, my issue was my 8wk old kitty's diarrhea. Thankfully, that resolved itself after a couple of days, and I was able to put liver back in his diet. However, now I'm worried because he hasn't pooped in 2 days. My vet says he should be pooping at least 2x a day and wants me to feed him lactulose (a laxative) until he achieves this level of frequency. My vet doesn't subscribe to raw-feeding, so it's difficult for her to understand that raw-fed cats don't eliminate that often. So basically my question is, what is the normal range of poop frequency in raw-fed cats? This is his 3rd day without, and that seems a little too long for me. I tried adding more liver to his diet to encourage him to go, but it hasn't worked yet. Should I go ahead and put him on the laxative?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Banned

How much bone are you feeding him? I've only just begun feeding raw myself, but I remember other more experienced forum members talking about the percentage of bone sometimes affecting them that way if it was too high. Or maybe just your particular cat needs less for his system to function properly.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I've only had him for a month, and the 1st 2 weeks he must have been two young to handle the crushed chicken necks I gave him because he never touched them. I finally got him started on bone around a week ago, which I'm thinking is what fixed his diarrhea issue. He's only consumed a total of one chicken neck since he's been with me, his last bone feeding being around 5 days ago.

He seems healthy otherwise; playing a lot, and not complaining of any tummy pain. But my vet seemed very anxious about it and cautioned me about the possible complications (infections and such) that occurs when cats become constipated, so now I'm worried.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Cat Addict

He should be going 1-2 times a day at his age...are you sure he hasn't gone? If he's still eating and hasn't pooped his belly would be positively full! No more room.

I'd suggest looking carefully in spots he can squish into to see if he's been going somewhere other than the box. If no...then give that baby a warm bath with a gentle tummy massage. Kittens will commonly poop in the bath if they're mostly immersed and relaxed. A drop or two of olive oil is also a better first try than laxatives...imo.

I'd be willing to bet he has pooped though.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I've looked everywhere and can't find any signs of poop. His tummy is pretty round, but his appetite is still up (demands for food every 4-5 hours); I figured that if he had a tummy ache, he'd complain about it, or at the very least wouldn't want to eat so much. Regarding the bath suggestion, bathing is quite a struggle with this little guy so I don't think it'll put him in a relaxed state at all. Will try the olive oil. Also, I read that half a teaspoon of corn syrup can help. Is that ok for cats?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Cat Addict

Stick with the olive oil, its a much better bet.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ok, I'll try it. Wish us luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 04:11 AM
Premier Cat

Twice a day?? That's seems a bit much and certainly does not apply to my cats. They go once a day no matter what they eat. With 5 here I don't track who poops when, I just assume things are - ahem - running smoothly if they don't show signs of trouble elsewhere. You could add some psyllium husk to their diet or a bit of Miralax.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 06:40 AM
Banned

Also keep in mind that all poop is is waste material that the body doesn't need. Cats fed dry or canned are naturally going to poop more often and produce more volume when they do because most of what is in commercial foods is just not utilized by a cat's system, in contrast with raw food (this is why raw is also called bio-appropriate food). Cats utilize more of the raw food, which results in less waste and fewer eliminations.

There is a video in the thread titled "The Poop Question" that illustrates this explanation. I would suggest you watch it, & then show it to your vet.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2014, 12:37 PM
Cat Addict

My Adult cats go about once a day/every two days...but kittens typically go more than adults anyways.

An 8 weeks old kitten is eating a lot and has a teeny tiny digestive tract, there's only so much room for poop! lol It's been a while since my boys were kits, and I didn't switch to raw until Muffin was 5 months, but he went once a day at that point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page