Is it cheaper in the end than wet food? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Is it cheaper in the end than wet food?

I used to feed kitty Fancy Feast until an $83 pay cut took down that and I had to switch her back to kibble.
I still can't really afford wet food (or even to feed her raw with the price of meat what it is around here fricking insane $7-8 for a pound of chicken last I checked, and beef is sometimes $10+ ridiculous).
So, if I get into a bigger city, where competition exists and prices are lower, can I find better prices than that? And feed her for cheaper than what I paid for FF?
We really only have two stores here, so the prices are kinda insane for any meat product per lb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Cat

Where I live I pay less than $1 per pound for chicken, and less than $2 per pound for pork. I sometimes buy beef when I can find it for less than $3 per pound. It came down to this for me: I was spending more than $4 per can on Nature's Variety Instinct. That lasted me two days. That was JUST for the cat though, not factoring in my two other dogs at the time. So $2 per day for the cat, plus another $2 per day per dog if I was feeding them canned. And those were the big cans too! That put me well over $100 per month to feed a collective of animals that weigh less than 10 lbs apiece!

Now this is where it gets tricky though: I grind the bones, and thus I bought a grinder. The grinder cost what I would have paid in one months food though, so by now it really has probably paid for itself over a year later. Supplements also have to be factored in, so again, the upfront cost is a bit higher. They last a really long time though. I only buy supplements maybe twice a year. I get Taurine ($, fish oil, vitamin E. I used to do vitamin B12, but since I feed pork and use beef organs I don't feel I need it.

Factoring supplements and meat only, I can safely say I pay less than $3 a pound for my animals, it is probably much closer to $2. My cat and two dogs eat 12 ounces a day, so all told it probably costs me less than $2 a day to feed ALL of them. I went from $2 per day for just the cat, to $2 per day for ALL OF THEM. I was ecstatic. And I don't even get the best of the best deals. I know people who can buy chicken in bulk for something like $0.40-$0.50 per pound. I just don't have room to store a lot of bulk right now.

So I don't know if that will be cheaper than FF, but it was a lot cheaper for me than Nature's Variety was. Plus I am spending a lot less on litter now because he doesn't have stinky poops.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Tom Cat

It really depends. I can feed two adults and a ravenous kitten who eats 8-9oz a day raw for under $30 a month if I buy from a local supplier and just buy organ to add in. For one average sized cat and using the retail pricing of the local premade ground raw that we have at work it would be around $30 a month. When I had a grinder and was making my own ground raw I could feed two young adult males for less than $1 a day if I could get chicken thighs for $1/lb.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I know I can get the cans for that, the problem is that my cat ate two a day, and if I keep the wet food out, she won't touch the kibble, I have to mix it to get her to eat it, and then I'm throwing out kibble+ff because it gets dry and she will no longer eat the mix.
Ah how I wished for this months ago when I first switched her to wet. She'd gobble the kibble and not touch the wet!

And that does sound like it'll be much cheaper. I hope there is decent prices and competition when I move. If so, I'm certainly transitioning kitty to raw! I could feed her chicken, since that'd be guaranteed to go to her, since I'm going vegan and my fiancee doesn't eat chicken.

I'll just have to make extra sure I go over everything about feeding a kitty a raw diet. Because there's no WAY I'm going to be buying raw for my cat from a vet. x.X I did once for my diabetic cat, and I wish I'd known you could make it yourself back then, it may have saved his life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 11:36 AM
Premier Cat

I don't think anyone can speculate on the prices of food without any specifics of what city.. in what state... in what country.

As for cost, LaurieF gave you some great suggestions in your other post on how to get lots of meat for super cheap and even free.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2014, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Weird, my vet swears by raw or at LEAST wet for cats. She even stocks Instinct raw.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 10:31 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with MowMow, without knowing what country or city you are in it's impossible to comment on cost. Almost anywhere in the USA, one could drive to a fairly large city and take advantage of larger grocery stores for lower meat prices. If that were my circumstance, I would drive to the city once a month or so, buy in bulk and grind my own and freeze it.

Having said this, there are many ways to find ways to save money. I'm going to toss some ideas out there cold that worked for me since I don't know your particulars:

New cell phone plan - maybe switch to Tracfone (I paid less than $9/month for my TF annual plan).
Cancel cable TV - I'm saving almost $100 month and don't miss it at all.
Delayed buying the new sofa for the 5th year. Heavy sigh.
Cancelled our monthly ADT home security and installed a remote security system - paid for itself in 8 months.
Quit smoking. 'Nuff said.

Just some examples that worked for me and I'm saving hundreds a month.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2014, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

I actually pay only $350 for rent living with my parents and that covers my tv, internet, etc. (one of the ONLY good things about living with them) And when I live with my fiancee we'll be cutting out cable and phone plans from companies as well and just getting netflix and internet. My current phone plan that I use is $25 a month, and is well worth it considering it's one of two forms of communication my fiancee and I can use, so I do "need" unlimited. Once I move, I may switch to something cheaper though. And my fiancee is on her parent's plan, and pays very little for that as well.
Also, I sadly cannot drive, even if I could, I can't get a car. I'll have to save up for that investment after moving, because I need money to move ATM, and can't afford a $1000 investment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page