I want to start raw. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

I want to start raw.

After trying to find the purrfect food for my kitty, I have lost at the game of dry and canned food for SkipJack. He is passing gas like crazy and the stools...oh the stools are slimy and stinky! They are horrendous. The vet has done 2 separate fecal exams, both came back negative for parasites, just very high in lipids (fat content). For that, I would like to start him into a raw diet, but worried on how much it's going to cost me. I read Pierson's links thoroughly, but when I added up all the ingredients it came out to be nearly $100 for 40-44 days ($22 for shipping the rabbit ground meat added into cost), and that's without the grinder factored into the cost. Does this sound correct to anybody feeding raw? Also, I would be keeping the rest of the food in the freezer. Do I really need to pressure cook the ballpark jars? I don't have a pressure cooker, and really don't want to spend anymore than I have to for feeding my baby raw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 05:29 PM
Premier Cat

Do you really want to do the rabbit?? Why not just go to the store, buy a whole young chicken, chop it up grind it up and voila! No pressure cooking at all. Take a look at this website - it is a bit easier to navigate and less complicated, IMHO.

Feline Nutrition

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 05:47 PM
Senior Cat

For me it's actually much more economical. The vitamins and supplement cost me about $50, but that's probably going to last a year or so. I've only done chicken so far, 3lbs of chicken thighs cost about $10 here and the chicken liver is another $1.50 or so. Leelu only eats about 3-4oz/day so it's about $25/month.
I'm in Canada, so these are Canadian dollars.

How did you come up with your figure?

Sent from Petguide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM
Premier Cat

I'm headed back to raw myself here pretty soon I think.

No way am I canning food. I freeze. I'll do a mass shop once a month and freeze their daily meals in small containers like these.

Freezer tape on top with the cat's name and the date to feed it (or better yet a little label maker if I can find a cheapo one).

I'll give each cat a bin in the freezer to stack their food in and then just pop tomorrows feedings into the fridge each evening to defrost.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Premier Cat

I use these and freeze them. Raw chicken is SO much cheaper than the canned and healthier, but investing in a good quality grinder is a must. They defrost quickly, like MowMow said, too. A 5 pound chicken will fill at least the entire case of these jars (1/2 pint - 8oz.)

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:47 PM
Premier Cat

Not sure I agree about the grinder being a must. Both my guys much prefer small chunks of raw meat than ground meat.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
Do you really want to do the rabbit?? Why not just go to the store, buy a whole young chicken, chop it up grind it up and voila! No pressure cooking at all. Take a look at this website - it is a bit easier to navigate and less complicated, IMHO.

Feline Nutrition
Thanks for the website, so much better to navigate like you said! I don't necessarily need rabbit, but thought it was a good option oppose to all chicken.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma View Post
For me it's actually much more economical. The vitamins and supplement cost me about $50, but that's probably going to last a year or so. I've only done chicken so far, 3lbs of chicken thighs cost about $10 here and the chicken liver is another $1.50 or so. Leelu only eats about 3-4oz/day so it's about $25/month.
I'm in Canada, so these are Canadian dollars.

How did you come up with your figure?

Sent from Petguide.com App

I came up with the figure at $76.98 for the meat at Hare Today Gone Tomorrow, included in cost is their shipping and handling. They won't ship anything under 10lbs that's why I doubled the rabbit and chicken thighs on their website. I guesstimated another $25 on vitamins/supplements plus food storage for the freezer. Ultimately, I'm probably going to go with just chicken for now and see how it goes.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks MowMow and Marcia for the feedback. I was only going to get the grinder to grind the bones down as well, since I don't want them to get stuck in his throat and whatnot so thought it was best to grind all down to a fine ground. Thoughts?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 08:41 PM
Senior Cat

So long as the bones aren't cooked they shouldn't cause a problem, the splintering issues only arise with cooked bones. I mean, cats aren't going to be able to swallow a chicken thigh whole anyways but if you decide to avoid the grinder raw chicken wings and necks are a really good source of bone that's pretty easy for cats to crunch on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page