Natures instinct Raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~
Natures instinct Raw

Hello...
I've just been thinking and was debating on trying some raw with my cats. Normally they get a 1/2 can of wet in the AM and nibble on grain-free dry food threw the day. The canned food is getting a bit pricey...
What do you think of this product? Instinct Grain-Free Raw Frozen Chicken Diet - 1 oz. Medallions (48 Count) | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats . It's cheaper then canned it looks healthier...
Also is it an easy transition to switch for canned in the AM to raw? I'm still going to give them there dry during the day.
Thank you!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

The purists are going to complain about veggies in commercial raw products. But generally, any raw is going to be good.

But, I'm not sure why you think it would be cheaper than canned. Instinct chicken probably goes for about $20 for a 3lb bag on average. Do some math and you'd have to be paying more than $2.29 for a 5.5 oz can in order for raw to be less expensive.

The other concern would be free feeding kibble after feeding raw. They have different digestive rates and could cause digestive upset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Send a message via AIM to ~*Regina*~
I actually only feed the 1/2 a 3oz can a day plus the dry, i can also get the raw much cheaper because I would get it from this little whole in the wall pet shop.
But when you said it may upset their tummies because I think I will just stick with the canned food. I do not want Tessie to have an upset belly, she already has enough problems.
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 09:05 PM
Cat

The Nature's Variety isn't truly raw though, at least not compared to what most people feed when they make their own. It has been cooked at a very low temperature in order to kill at least some bacteria. While I have not fed the NV raw with kibble to a cat, I have done so with a dog without problems. What you really don't want is to feed any sort of true raw food with kibble.

doodlebug is right though, their digestion rates will be different. This isn't as much of an issue because of the low temp cooking, but it is something to consider. I would probably try it out if I was feeding kibble/canned, but that's just me.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 05:14 AM
Kitten

I can't speak to the pros/cons of this product in terms of health, but we've tried our kitten on it a few times over the past year and he just won't touch the stuff. We feed him mostly a pre-made raw diet from another company, which is more of an actual ground meat/organ/bone type meal than the "pucks" of pâté-style mix that Nature's Instinct uses.

We wanted to try it on him because the feeding process would be overall much cleaner/easier if we could just grab a view meal-sized pucks out of the freezer, let them thaw, then feed them… but alas no, he just won't touch them. In fact, he acts pretty appalled that we even tried it!

I'll second what the other said in terms of watching the digestion rates of between raw and dry.

If you want to switch/transition, you can try mixing in a little raw into the wet food to start and then slowly switch the ratios. Sometimes when our cat is being picky with his raw, we give him a little dollop of stinky canned food on his raw to get him eating.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page