Raw food and water intake - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Raw food and water intake

I switched to raw about 3 months ago and I'm feeding about 90% raw now and a bit canned here and there. I did notice that Leelu is drinking more. It's not alarming, but I see her drink maybe twice a week. When she was on canned only, I never saw her drink. I also noticed the the amount of pee varies a bit more. She did just miss the box the other day and it looked normal coloured.
Does anybody have any experience or ideas?

Everything else seems normal, less poop but I think that's normal with raw. Her fur is shiny and she's got more energy than ever.

She's 10y old so it might be early signs for ckd, but the timing seems a bit odd. She's due for an annual check and blood in a month. I'm not sure if I should just add a bit more water to the food or get the blood draw done sooner?
Or just relax and not stress?

Sent from Petguide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Cat

Do you add any water to your raw diet? Is it ground, whole chunks, or a mix of both? Do you add any salt?

I have personally noticed that chunks, while full of moisture, do lose some. I add quite a bit of water to the ground bones/organs in order to get them as much water as possible, and it re-hydrates the chunks a little when I mix it all together. It isn't soupy though, my cat won't eat soup.
If you are using a recipe like the one on catinfo.org, where she recommends you add Morton's Lite Salt for iodine, it could simply be that she is made to feel more thirsty because of the salt. Additionally, check to make sure none of the meat is plumped with a salt brine, as that would definitely make her feel more thirsty.

Since you are only a month away from her yearly check-up/blood draw, I would say toy around with the water amount and wait until then. You can re-evaluate weekly, and decide if you should reschedule based on what you are seeing.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Thanks for your reply! I do follow the catinfo.org recipe with ground meat and the salt, so that could be. I'm not a huge meat eater, so maybe a silly question but how do you know whether the chicken has salt brine added? I buy antibiotics free, but not organic.

Leelu doesn't like soupy food either but I think I'll start adding a bit with each meal and see if it makes a difference. Now I used about a cup of water per 3lbs of chicken thighs. Do you think the salt should be reduced? They do need some as far as I understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM
Cat

It should say on the package. Typically chicken is not plumped, but pork often is. It will probably say something like "retains X% of moisture", that is fine and good. If it says something like "with a X% salt brine solution" then it is plumped. How good or bad that is varies by who you talk with, as it often causes severe diarrhea. Other people just wash it off and don't seem to have problems. But I digress, that probably isn't a problem for you at all since you are buying a higher quality product.

Yes, the iodine is very important for thyroid health. I don't think the amount is bad, and I would probably keep giving the amount recommended on her website, but do add as much water as Leelu will stand. If you wanted to see if the salt was indeed making her more thirsty, you could probably leave it out for one batch, or part of a batch, and monitor her water intake.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Excellent! Thanks so much for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page