Swallowed (then threw up) top of chicken wing, unchewed. Should I be worried?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Swallowed (then threw up) top of chicken wing, unchewed. Should I be worried??

I gave my cat a mix of lamb liver, lamb chunks and the little top section of a chicken wing this morning. She ate it all up and was acting fine when I left for work, but I just got a call to say that she threw everything up. The top of the chicken wing came out completely unchewed. She must have tried to swallow it whole.(the lamb was all unchewed too)
I'm now a bit worried. She may have thrown up because the bone part was too much for her to handle whole, but worried that she might have teeth problems, or is it not unusual for that part of the wing (when given alone) to be swallowed whole? I hope that is the case!
Last weekend she left a chicken wing (was the top two sections joined together). She pulled it out of her bowl, but left it lying. I thought she might just be sick of chicken, so gave her other meat chunks and she ate that up fine.
Strangely, she was on my lap last night and when she yawned I thought how white her teeth looked, so never thought of checking for problems.
Should I be worried, or is it normal that they swallow bits that size whole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 AM
Banned

I don't know how long you have been feeding raw, but I started raw with my cat Sunny around the end of December. He also swallowed some bone whole - about a 2 inch piece that my husband and I watched him put in his mouth, thought he was going to chew on it, and then he swallowed it whole. We were a bit freaked out, but he handled it fine. No vomiting and nothing unusual with the stool. So although it was different from your case, what I'm saying is I don't think it's unusual that raw fed cats swallow bone although it's not the best case scenario.

Sunny did throw up his raw once and I have no idea why. That time his meal did not include bone so I know that wasn't the culprit. His too was mostly undigested, although in smaller chunks than what I had fed him so I know he did chew them down a bit. Have you fed her lamb before? Sometimes cats react negatively to some proteins, for example a lot of people say their cats can't eat beef. If lamb is not the problem you should also look for lamb kidney - that is Sunny's absolute favorite thing in the world!

Also, how old is your cat? She may just need more time to get used to handling bone, although some cats are hard to convince to chew on bone. Sunny, despite an initial fairly good start, now refuses to chew on bones and I'm adding egg shells right now and will start grinding bones soon for him, while still trying the occasional chicken wing/neck.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-15-2014, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I'm not sure how old she is, she's a stray that I found just this past December. She's been on raw ever since then and has had chicken and lamb before, and it's never been a problem, in fact she used to be pretty keen on chicken wings. She did throw up raw turkey before, so she's not been getting any more of that.
I've actually just recently started adding ground eggshell to the food. Since she rejected the chicken wing last week, I thought I needed to make sure she gets enough calcium. It is quite a nightmare to grind fine enough though, that's why I thought I'd try giving her wing again.
I don't think I've ever given her just the tip part on it's own before. When she did get the top two bits joined together, she did always crunch the bones, but I never watched her eat it, so not sure how small she normally made the bits before swallowing.
The bit she had would have been a bit longer than what your cat had, but hopefully she might just have over-estimated how big a piece she can handle.
I just dread the idea that something might be wrong with her teeth because our first vet experience in January ended with her having a bad time with the vaccinations she got (even ended up with skin lesions where the needle went in!) and having hair shaved off to check for spay/pregnancy. Plus, she hates going in the car, so I would really hate to have to put her through another vet visit just as she is starting to settle down and feel better!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page