Considering raw, have some questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Considering raw, have some questions

So I have 3 cats which are all boys, ages range from 3, 6, and 13. Currently I feed the two younger cats Precise hollistic, then senior gets a brand called NOW Fresh senior but also gets some canned wet of Wervua. They all seem to be doing fine on their foods, but I noticed my 6 year old needs some dental cleaning. I read that raw foods are extremely good for cats and also helps out with the cats teeth. I honestly want the best for my cats because they are my world. So my questions regarding raw is;

1. Is it better then feeding dry and wet?
2. Are there any cons with it?
3. When feeding raw, I go to a special pet store for my cats and they have the raw food company called Primal, do you recommend that plus maybe putting in a chicken wing once a week to help with scrapping of teeth?
4. Do you suggest more of staying away from pet raw diets and just buying raw food from supermarket?

I do also every other day cut the cats food by half and then put in some of the Primal freeze dry food mix in with their normal dry.

Any help I appreciate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWC88 View Post
1. Is it better then feeding dry and wet?
Yes, it is what they have evolved to eat naturally. The wet food you are feed is very good, though.

Quote:
2. Are there any cons with it?
Potential salmonella, you have to clean your kitchen after preparation... their breath is gross, sort of a metallic blood smell? It's why I won't feed the dog raw. She licks my face and is always up close to my face as well, the smell makes me want to puke when she's had raw food. Cats aren't as in your face (usually) so that smell may be a non-issue.

Quote:
3. When feeding raw, I go to a special pet store for my cats and they have the raw food company called Primal, do you recommend that plus maybe putting in a chicken wing once a week to help with scrapping of teeth?
Sure. Make sure it isn't cooked.

Quote:
4. Do you suggest more of staying away from pet raw diets and just buying raw food from supermarket?
You mean commercially made diets vs grocery store stuff? You must do a LOT of research and buy a lot of things in order to prepare your own raw food. It is not as simple as putting down a piece of raw chicken breast, they need correct proportions of muscle meat (~80%), organs (10%, 5% of that liver) and bone (5-10%) in their raw diet. It's a science I am not comfortable playing with, and they would require variety as well as different meats have different nutrients in them. You would also not want preground food from a store as it may have been sitting out longer and the more surface area is exposed, the more bacteria are growing.

Quote:
I do also every other day cut the cats food by half and then put in some of the Primal freeze dry food mix in with their normal dry.
DO NOT MIX DRY WITH RAW.

Dry food takes longer to go through a cat's body, while raw food is designed by nature to exit very quickly... if you have kibble and raw at the same time, it makes the raw food sit way too long in their bodies and may let bacteria from the raw food make them sick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

I consider a raw diet the best thing you can feed a pet. I prefer commercial raw diets over homemade (and not just because I own a pet food store)...they are already nutritionally balanced so there won't be any big surprises down the road if the pet develops a medical issue. I also feel that grocery store food is handled in a manner that assumes it will be cooked while with raw pet food, they know it will be fed raw...I think it's safer from a potential bacteria standpoint. It is kept at 0 degrees or below at all times, as opposed to grocery store meat kept at higher temps and not frozen at all.

In addition some raw pet food manufacturers put their food through a process called High Pressure Pasteurization to kill any bacteria present (Primal does it on their chicken only). There is some controversy about whether the food is truly raw after this process is applied. The con about commercial raw diets is that they are expensive. Some also include veggies which technically cats don't need.

I consider Primal a good food, but prefer Radcat and Vital Essentials products over it, especially for cats. I have given Kobi Primal and Nature's Variety Instinct raw and he'll eat it for a few days then goes off of it, which is saying something because Kobi is a voracious eater. He's been getting RadCat for months now and never turns up his nose.

Both RadCat and VE come in tubs, they're ground and very juicy/bloody as opposed to the nuggets or patties that other raw foods come in. I have much better luck getting customers to transition to raw with these brands...the cats just seem to like it better.

As a side note, I have not experienced the smelly breath issue that Carmel mentioned. Both Kobi and my dog, Jake, are on raw and neither one has stinky breath. And both are very much in my face.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Ok cool I will have to try the raw for them. With the chicken wing comment I asked, I'm assuming maybe not to do that since I would get it from grocery store? Will these pet developed raw diets have everything needed in it to help scrape the cats teeth? This way it helps with plaque and tarter? My cats refuse to let me brush their teeth.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

No...a ground diet is not really going to help the teeth. You can get wings or chicken necks that are intended for pets from the same place you get your food.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure the commercial raw will not have the same benefits to the teeth as if the cat actually chews on bone and/or tendons that scrape the teeth to some extent. That being said, it certainly won't be any worse than canned and probably better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page