Two weeks into Raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Two weeks into Raw

I put both boys on raw prey model two weeks ago today. I TRIED doing it 5 or 6 years ago but MowMow was still revealing allergies at the time and I got frustrated and just switched him back to canned. I even tried commercial raw, but he always had trouble keeping it down unless it was mixed fresh at home.

With Book's recent bladder issues and MowMOw's IBD I decided it was time to try raw again. I worked up all the numbers, made a spreadsheet, made a menu and bought about 20lbs of meat, organs, and bones. Then spent about 5 hours dicing it all into small bites (I figure the bites can get bigger as they get used to gnawing on meat). My freezer now has WAY more cat food in it than people food.....

Book has taken to it like a champ... he loves his meals and can't get enough. MOwMow however was way more challenging. First meal went down perfectly fine. NO problems. Ever since then he throws it up within 15 minutes(cleaning bloody raw meat out of the carpet is no freaking picnic and STAINS). I tried varying the temperature, the size of the chunks (even tried grinding it), no organs, more organs, more bone, less bone... it doesn't seem to matter to him. He immediately throws it up.

He has to eat the beef because he's allergic to turkey and chicken (even raw, we tried that last time), and I sure can't afford to feed him raw rabbit/quail every day.

He lost almost 2lbs in two weeks and he looks like crap from vomiting 3X a day (and I'm sure feels like crap). I'd wind up giving him some canned to get food into him anyway so, I switched him back to full time canned. He's now had 3 meals with NO vomit and is feeling pretty sassy for it. He had his first crazies in two weeks this morning..zooming around.

It looks like I'll have ONE cat on raw (with enough food for 2 months now...) and one on canned.

I was so stupid to mess with MowMow's food, it took me YEARS to find a balance that worked with him.... and I messed with it.

Been a very frustrating two weeks.

I do have a question for the raw savvy.... Book isn't digging his non secreting organ. He's had thymus and left it behind and had lamb kidney and left it behind. Any suggestions enticing him to eat them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 02:55 PM
Banned

Wow, lamb kidney is Sunny's favorite thing in the world! That being said, if Book doesn't like it could you sprinkle a bit of Fortiflora just on those pieces? Or bonito flakes or parmesan cheese?

Glad MowMow seems to be getting back on track. Don't feel bad about changing his diet - you were trying to do what is supposed to be the healthiest thing for a cat. He's just one of those cats who is too sensitive to food. Wasn't there another cat on the forum who was throwing up all his raw? I think it was Baron Von Moggy.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM
Cat Addict

At work, so I can't really reply.

Jitzu does that (throws up) sometimes on raw. Ive got some tricks. I'll post once im off work it's not hopeless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Premier Cat

Poor MowMow. I'm glad he is feeling better. I have been hit and miss with my raw. Some days it's a hit, some days not so much. We rotate raw and canned. I pick my battles.

As to the stains, I used to have wall to wall white carpeting with 4 old cats at the time. What was I thinking? I found if I sprayed the stain with Resolve carpet cleaner (in a red spray bottle) and let it sit with a (white) wet rag over it for a couple hours the stain would go away. Sometimes took a couple treatments, but it always worked. Make sure the Resolve has Oxy cleaners in it or is formulated for pet stains.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Holly pukes when fed raw too. I haven't tried to fight the battle to get her switched over. But one thing I did find out is that if I only give her a little (about 1/2 oz) she will keep it down. I figure if I ever want to switch her over my approach would be to start with small amounts and work it up slowly over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:35 PM
Cat Addict

Doodlebug has it right, when Jitzu's in a fussy tummy phase I feed her much smaller portions more often, but I also up her dose of acidophilus and feed foods she has an easier time with.

For Jitzu that means turkey and pork, no bones. After a week or so of that I find her digestive system has calmed back down enough I can risk something a little harder (like heart) and if it's just a tiny piece she does ok. Gradually I edge her back into the normal routine, it usually takes up to 3 weeks to get her back to normal.

I have yet to figure out why this happens, but every 6 months or so she just is significantly more sensitive. *sigh* Since kibble and wet aren't options for her (puking after every meal...no matter how good it is) I just have to stick to 'easy' raw and cross my fingers.

I find she does better with either very finely ground meat, or bigger chunks. And not too cold. I know you mentioned trying that, I bring it up more as a 'each cat has a thing' more than anything else.

I'm glad to hear the canned food calms his tummy down...have you considered trying 1/2 and 1/2 again?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I don't think I'm going to mess with his food again.

The vet (and I am as well) is very pleased with his health and weight. HIs last blood test was spot on... at his age (10) I think I'm just going to keep doing what I am and offer small bits of raw when I cook for myself.

The minute he gets stressed or upset his IBD goes bonkers and he starts vomiting and loses a bunch of weight. I"m not willing to mess with it again, I hate seeing him that miserable.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Oh, and I tried parmesan on the kidney/thymus and he just licked it off and spit out the small chunks of kidney.

The only thing I haven't tried was chopping it SUPER fine and mushing it up with the regular meat..... doesn't appeal to me, but I'll try it.

Gotta say, cutting up the meat and then the organs had me grossed the heck out. I was more than willing to skip dinner that night and just have a cup of peppermint tea to calm my stomach down. Blech....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page