Commercial Raw-Your Thoughts? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Commercial Raw-Your Thoughts?

I am lazy and barely cook for myself, so preparing my cats' food is out of the question. So I am considering commercial raw. I was thinking about a rotation of Rad Cat and Feline's Pride. What is your experience with these?

Right now, the cats are on 100% canned Friskies because it was all we could afford. But the stink of it all is getting to be more than we can bear. So I am mixing their Friskies with grain-free until they get used to the grain-free (already a marked improvement in the smell of the litter box)...then it is on to mixing raw with their canned until they are used to the raw.

I know my two older cats (11 and 13) are not going to be interested in raw (we've tried it before), so I am sure a battle of the wills is up ahead. The 6-month-old kitten has had and loved raw in the past, so hopefully she will remember and be an easy convert.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Tom Cat

I haven't used those two specifically, but I do feed a ground mix that made locally and supplement with chicken necks for their teeth. Our 8 year old switched over no problem.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Kobi loves RadCat. He's eaten other brands but wasn't thrilled, that all changed with RadCat. I think it's the texture...ooey, bloody mush instead if kinda dry formed patties (which I would mush up). No experience with Feline's Pride but I believe it has rather limited distribution...I believe that Resellers buy a territory, so there's only one person in an area and it may not be a retail store...they could be selling it from their house.

Have you priced this out? I don't know if this is realistic for you. A 1 lb tub of RadCat goes for about $10. At 2.5% of body weight for 10 lb cat, one tub would last 4 days. Feline's Pride looks less expensive on the website, but the shipping costs really drive it up. Not sure what you'd pay to a local rep.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...

Last edited by doodlebug; 03-05-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Cost is a concern. I have priced Feline's Pride but still need to check out RadCat at my local supplier.

Storage is also a concern if we go with Feline's Pride because we would have to order it in bulk. I am not so sure our freezer has room.

We are also considering going 50/50 with raw and grain free canned. Just exploring all the options.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 07:42 PM
Cat

I don't know if you can buy pre-made raw for less than canned. Generally the only way you will be able to swing that is through working with a local butcher that could grind up something for you. Definitely price it out though. It is much cheaper for me to feed home-made vs canned, but most pre-made stuff I have seen costs the same or more as a grain free canned food.

As for freezer space, prepare to not have any. I currently have two 5 lb dogs and a cat on raw, and a one months supply of food takes up more than half of our freezer space. Figure that with 3 cats you will probably be feeding between 12oz to 1 lb per day (if raw only). That is 30 lbs of meat in your freezer that may or may not be separated into daily serving sizes. I only live with my boyfriend, but if we were to ever get a roommate we would need a separate chest freezer. There is literally no room in the freezer at the beginning of the month.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I don't know if you can buy pre-made raw for less than canned. Generally the only way you will be able to swing that is through working with a local butcher that could grind up something for you. Definitely price it out though. It is much cheaper for me to feed home-made vs canned, but most pre-made stuff I have seen costs the same or more as a grain free canned food.

As for freezer space, prepare to not have any. I currently have two 5 lb dogs and a cat on raw, and a one months supply of food takes up more than half of our freezer space. Figure that with 3 cats you will probably be feeding between 12oz to 1 lb per day (if raw only). That is 30 lbs of meat in your freezer that may or may not be separated into daily serving sizes. I only live with my boyfriend, but if we were to ever get a roommate we would need a separate chest freezer. There is literally no room in the freezer at the beginning of the month.

Try finding freezer space when you're feeding a Great Dane, two Labradors, a mini poodle and two cats! That was almost 9lbs of raw a day.
Now I'm just feeding two adult cats and one ravenous kitten raw and going through about a pound and a bit most days. We carry a local raw company at work that does 5lb chubs for $15-18, so it would cost me around $3 a day if I had to pay full price. That's about half of what I'd be paying for two 13oz cans a day.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 05:38 PM
Kitten

I don't specifically have experience with those brands but I do feed mine Natures Variety raw and love it. I definitely think raw is cheaper than canned food. I buy a bag for $35-$40ish and it lasts me a whole month. They eat less on raw food than they do kibble or canned food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page