Portions to older kittens on raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Portions to older kittens on raw

Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to raw, so please be patient with me...I've researched some, but most posts talk about young kittens and I don't want to overfeed or underfeed, so I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

I'm feeding my kittens pieces of raw chicken the past few weeks and some commercial raw ground with about 25% of canned wet food to keep encouraging one pate lovin' kitten to gnaw, bite, and chew his food more. My other kitten looooves raw chicken with bones, especially necks, (chopped into about 1 inch chunks), but keeps asking for more. How much bone is too much? I know if they get too much bone content they'll get constipated and not enough will have the opposite effect. Do I keep feeding them til they are satisfied or should I get a scale and measure out 3 oz each just to make sure? I've been eyeballing their amounts, but I feel like they eat MORE on raw than they did on canned. Shouldn't they be eating less? Today kitten did go to the litter box twice for solid waste but it looked normal.

Notes: They are 7 & 8 months each, weigh also 7 & 8 lbs respectively. They are both moderately active; chase/run/play around during early mornings and at dusk, but sleep most of the day or look out the windows...I never had any cats or kittens before, so I can't really tell if that is active enough. Their energy isn't what it used to be when they were 3-4 months old. When do kitten's energy levels taper off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 06:46 AM
Cat Addict

Kitten's energy levels taper at around 18 -24 months. Of course it depends on the cat, some can calm down as early as 12 months.

Also, the kitten's environment is going to have an impact, i.e., and indoor kitten will calm down sooner rather than later, with the opposite for indoor/outdoor kittens. BUT that isn't a hard fast rule either, just a generalization.

At 7-8 months, I'd say you're halfway there before they'll mellow to their adult activity level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Tom Cat

Thomas is 6.5 months and just under 9lbs and usually eats 10-12oz a day. I let him eat his fill three or four times a day. 3oz doesn't sound like enough for a kitten, that's less than Thomas eats in a meal. I do have a scale and weigh out meals for the older girls, weighing is just to give me an idea of how much thom is eating.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Hmmm, ok. Thank you for your input. My kittens are indoor only. I will purchase a food scale soon, just to know how much I'm feeding them. I also read somewhere about a 2-4% of their weight rule, so I'll keep that in mind as well. Regarding their bone intake, I think I'm going to just going to watch their stools as I scoop. I don't plan on feeding them bone-in meals daily, but a few chopped up pieces a few times a week to ensure dental health until they are more used to chomping down larger chunks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 08:02 PM
Tom Cat

The 2-3% of their weight is for adult animals. Kittens can easily eat double. I know with raw fed puppies you feed 2-4% of their expected adult weight or 10% of their current weight until it reaches the same amount of the predicted adult amount. My kitten is indoor only as well.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Ok, thank you again for the correction. I don't feel so bad now because I think they're getting about 4-5 oz per feeding.

I'm having trouble getting one of my kittens to eat chunks...I have to keep adding a bit of canned food diluted with raw goat's milk (probiotics, enzymes) or water to make a "sauce", but most times he still leaves chunks behind and end up adding tiny bits of freeze dried treats to entice him to eat it all...it seems like he's getting used to this methodology, while my other kitten readily gobbles everything up, and wanting to his portion...

Any ideas that can help him to keep eating chunks or do I need to be patient?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page