Percy's weight loss on raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Percy's weight loss on raw

Percy is two years old and had gotten rather pudgy. She started packing on the weight when her and Tess were being free fed kibble last year and didn't lose any when switched to canned because Tessa is a grazer and would walk away, leaving Percy to eat her food, too. All three cats have been completely raw fed for the last month or so and are now getting weighed out meals fed separately. Tessa at 8 years old has put on muscle mass and doesn't look sunken in and frail anymore. Wild boar is her favorite and she eats her three daily meals within minutes now.
Back to Percy. In September she weighed in at nearly 11 pounds. A three weeks ago she was 10lbs 8oz and today she's at 10lbs 4oz. A nice slow weight loss of just under 1.5oz a week. This is with her eating 3oz a day, which is what Tess eats to maintain her weight at 8.5lbs. Percy should probably be around 9lbs at a healthy weight, so she's definitely not as overweight as some cats I've seen, but hopefully in a few months she'll be a lean girl and look less like a football. She plays with Thomas all day, so the added exercise is definitely helping, and I just found out that one of my suppliers at work has started carrying Da Bird so we're ordering one asap!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Banned

Wow, that's a great weight loss! Where in the world do you get wild boar?? That's interesting that your cats are eating 3 oz. a day, goes to show how different cats are. My Sunny, who the vet estimates is around 7 yrs old, eats nearly 7 oz. a day, and is maintaining perfectly on that so far. I'm keeping an eye on him though as he has only been eating raw for 3 months since we got him. He was underweight when he came to us.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

We have a local company that does ground raw and they do boar, bison, venison and most of the more common meats. They get this as well as chicken necks and gizzards and other chunk meat.
The girls only get 3oz, but Thomas at nearly 9lbs at 6.5 months old, is eating between 10 and 12oz a day right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Premier Cat

Wow, kayla! You've got it made in the meat department where you live! We have wild boars here that are tearing up our natural preserve habitats and the city/state seems to be unable to do anything about it except complain. Plus we are national headquarters for PETA so they always have to complain about hurting one of them. Cat meat would be a good end product for those pests here. 3oz? My Missy and Lacey cats would be doing well to eat that much but Maddie, Jack and Coco and Penny would starve on 3oz! Penny alone eats about 9oz a day.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Senior Cat

My guys eat a range of weights in Raw as well. The 'kittens' (LOL) - they weigh 4.5kg and 4.8kg respecitvely get around 180gms total a day, Effie @ 6.5kg gets 150gms a day and Coco; my fattie who now weighs 5kg and was over 6 kg, gets between 90-110gms a day depending on how many clicker training sessions we've had.
It fascinates me how much their feed size varies. I've simply tweaked their meal size by 5gms at a time until they've settled at an optimum weight. I will never regret going Raw with my guys as it makes weight management SO easy!

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Just wanted to update and say that Percy has made it to single digits and is now 9lbs 15oz and is starting to have a visible waist I think 9.5lbs will be perfect for her, so less than half a pound to go now.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 AM
Senior Cat

Hurrah!!!!!

Jen - owned by ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lisbeth
RIP Miss Effie, Mme Coco, Basil, Horse & Toby
Be Happy in your new forever home Mr Tyrion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page