Occasional raw food for oral health - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Occasional raw food for oral health

I've been looking through some raw threads here and I would like to start giving my cats raw maybe once a week to help clean their teeth. They currently eat grain-free wet food and have never had raw meat.

It looks like chicken necks or wings would be a good place to start. Can I just give them each a neck and see what they do? Or should I start with smaller pieces? (I've seen threads with feeding all raw where people start out with ground or finely chopped meat and work up to chunks, but is that necessary when feeding necks/wings, or does it depend on the cat?) Any other tips (or threads here) for first introducing raw?

One of my cats has become pretty food-obsessed lately and I'm hoping that eating a wing or neck will help her slow down and add a bit of challenge to eating as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Banned

No need to work up to the chunks unless your cats will not accept them. As long as they do fine with it, then go for it. Their jaws are well designed to cope with chunks of meat and small bones like in chicken necks. If they don't seem inclined to chew on the chicken neck at first, break it up a bit for them with a hammer. Otherwise, I would let them enjoy!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

You could also try the wing tips (the non meaty pointy tip of the wing that usually gets tossed out). That and the middle part (with the two parallel bones). Whack the parallel pieces with a hammer to mash them a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page