FINALLY switching to raw! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Talking FINALLY switching to raw!

Whiskey has been having some itching issues, and although we feed grain-free canned (with the occasional grain-free kibble as treats) we think it might be a food allergy.

I did some math to see how feasible it would be to start feeding her a locally-made commercial raw food called Green Earth Pet Food -- you can visit their website here: ORGANIC RAW PET FOOD MADE WITH 100% ALL NATURAL, HUMAN-GRADE INGREDIENTS | Green Earth Pet Food

[[Here are the ingredients if you are interested: Organic free range chicken including bone and organ meats (no antibiotics, no hormones, 100% vegetarian fed), fresh organic vegetables/fruits (varies by season), canned wild salmon, organic yogurt with live active cultures (no antibiotics, synthetic hormones or pesticides), organic whole cage-free eggs, organic flaxseeds (freshly ground), organic green tea leaves. (Cat Food Formula = 90% protein and 10% vegetables/fruit.) ]]

It works out to be about $34/month, which is way cheaper than we're paying feeding Wellness from Petsmart.

We bought our first bag yesterday, and have started mixing the raw into her canned.

I have 2 questions as a newbie:

1) How long should we be mixing the raw with the canned to get her adjusted? She seems to have no aversion to the raw at all.

2) Since we periodically go out of town, should we keep feeding her SOME occasional canned? (We want to make it easier for whoever will be watching her.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 08:37 PM
Senior Cat

If she's having no issues with the raw switch her right away, or wait a week or so and just continue adding more everyday to try and avoid loose stools, shouldn't be a big problem though, I would honestly just switch.

If you think whoever's watching her won't really be down for feeding her the commercial raw than I'd throw in some wet once a week or so just to keep her used to it so it isn't a big upset whenever you go away and start feeding her wet.

Also just another little note, I don't know if you're cutting out the dry completely or not, but just make sure you never feed the raw within at least 24 hours after feeding the dry. The dry food is digested much more slowly and can cause the raw to sit in the digestive tract much longer than its meant to.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Jackiepoo, we will be cutting out the dry! We think it might have been the dry that caused the allergies to begin with. Thank you for the explanation, though! When raw & dry are in the digestive tract together, does it cause the raw to start to "go bad"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 PM
Banned

Not 'go bad' per se, but it gives any potential bacteria in the raw more time to sit inside the cat and cause problems rather than having a more rapid transit through the cat like raw would have with no dry involved.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks, Heather! That makes sense. It's really interesting how intricately these things work. I wonder if sometimes humans' upset stomachs are caused by a similar process? I've actually heard of eating foods with similar "digestion times" together.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Another question: Are freeze-dried treats okay while feeding raw?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Cat Addict

As treats pretty much anything is ok. My raw fed cats get kibble as treats. 4 kibbles at once isn't going to significantly slow down the digestion time...plus is great to have super cheap treats

My guys love freeze dried treats.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarychick View Post
As treats pretty much anything is ok. My raw fed cats get kibble as treats. 4 kibbles at once isn't going to significantly slow down the digestion time...plus is great to have super cheap treats
Wow, really? I've always heard never to mix kibble and raw, though. So a few kibbles are ok? My cats have been eating raw for about 6 weeks now, but I have some kibble left. Never fed it after their switch-over, even though they both really loooooved this brand.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:02 PM
Cat Addict

Eating 6 kibbles isn't going to make a difference.

My guys eat twice a day and if I do treats it'll usually be a training session (or show off for a guest session ) about 2-3 hours before their evening meal. My guys don't get tons of treats, and even on the days we do give them treats each cat usually only gets 5-10 cat-sized bite treats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page