problem with bone in raw diet - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Cat

problem with bone in raw diet

hello all i am feeding my 5 months old persian kitten raw chicken and she is mad after it but my grinder is giving lot of problem with bones my grinder stucks every 2 to 3 mins and i have to open it, i searched on net the alternative of bone and i found bone meal but its is not available in india i have to buy it from ebay i also found that many people use egg shell powder as a calcium supplement i dont know in what quantity they use it and are egg shells safe i can manage lot of egg shells every day as i am a restaurant owner and i serve lots of eggs every day, 1 more thing as my kitten is 5 month old can i give a whole raw chicken neck to her any one who as information regarding it please reply soon cause i have to make a new batch of chicken for my kitten thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 AM
Premier Cat

Why nosy give her the bone whole. you can start with the wing tips then work her up to the center section by mashing it with a hammer until her jaws gain strength.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Banned

When I was first researching feeding raw, I remember reading that 2.5 ounces of raw meaty bones three times a week would be enough bone. So if you gave Sassy 2.5 oz. of chicken neck or wing that often it should be a good amount. If she does not want to chew on them at first, smash them with a hammer so they are in smaller pieces and she might get the idea.

My Sunny had a broken upper canine tooth we got removed about 2 weeks ago, and I think that may be why he didn't want to chew on bones. When he is fully healed and the stitches dissolved I am going to try him again. But for the time being I am doing eggshells with him. I read that a teaspoon 3 times a week would be good for that, but I cleaned out an empty spice container and put the ground up eggshells in there and I just sprinkle some on his food at every meal, as if it were salt. So far he is not having any problems with his stools being too loose and the vet said that amount should be sufficient for bone health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Cat

hi her new teeths are coming so will it be safe to give necks and wings

Last edited by marie73; 04-02-2014 at 02:18 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 10:14 AM
Banned

Great, so she'll be all set! I've heard a lot of people say that most kittens really take to the bone, especially since you've fed her the raw diet all along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page