What Size Bones? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
CHW
Banned

What Size Bones?

Even though Oliver won't budge on whole raw feeding thing, Pinball is nuts about it! So I've started feeding him a can in the morning when I feed Oliver a can and raw at night while Ollie gets kibble still. Pretty much whatever we eat that night, he gets some of. So this week he's had ground turkey, ground beef, chicken drumstick, whole pork chop (no bone) and tonight might be tilapia but I'm still undecided on dinner. Lol! Even though we don't eat them and they aren't "raw", I give him some sardines now and again too. He's also had chicken hearts and gizzards. I haven't introduced organs (liver, kidney, ect) yet but all his canned foods have organs so I'm not overly worried about introducing those too fast. He also nibbled on a chicken foot some. The drumstick he ate clean off the bone but wouldn't eat the bone. Are those too big for cats? (Or well, 3.5-4ish month old kitten?) I know he could handle the feet but he only nibbles them a little. I'm limited in the bones I can get right now, NOBODY has chicken necks and the only wings I found were prespiced. I was told they should have some plain raw ones soon though. If drumsticks are too big/hard, would turkey necks be an issue?? They're kinda big. I assume pig feet he definitely wouldn't take to yet. Pork and beef necks I'm scared he would break teeth on if he even tried, I don't even give them to my dogs for that reason. How can I encourage more than just nibbling or will it just be a matter of giving him time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
CHW
Banned

Nobody? Never had the issue even with the smallest of dogs but cats are a bit new to me.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Cat Addict

My cat will eat turkey necks, but I cut them on about 2" peices. And he'll leave some of the larger bones on the big end. I buy my chicken necks at specialty pet stores. And keep necks from ducks and geese too, if they come with them.

My cat will also eat chicken backs cut in half.

Whole quail, rabbit bones except for the leg bones, Cornish game hens cut in quarters or smaller depending on how big they are, are all on Munch's list of yummy bones to crunch through lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Premier Cat

Chicken legs are too tough, imo for a novice raw eater. STart with wings, wing tips, cornish hens (all but the leg), and as Deaf said rabbit and quail.

MowMOw only has a few teeth left and he's able to get through a whole quail except for the tiny little drumsticks. Book is now able to get through an entire wing except the drummett and that's all I have ot cut off. THe tip and center part he can handle on his own after just a few months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page