He's eating raw finally! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

He's eating raw finally!

Hi there! My Siamese cat Richard is 3 years old. As a kitten I tried to feed him raw as all my dogs eat it. He initially ate a premade pattie mix but after about a week it started making him sick, vomitting etc. After two weeks of trying every type of raw I could think of I finally gave up and started feeding him kibble with his canned food. Over the years I have thrown him different meat/bones an mixtures, all of which he turns his nose up to. Four days ago I was thawing a premade raw mixture on the counter and I found him happily chowing down on it!!! I've been giving it to him as his morning meal and canned as his dinner. Of course I would love it if he would eat it all the time but at this point I will be satisfied with once a day.

The premade is what they call a protein blend. It it sourced locally and is hormone and antibiotic free. It's not sold in stores, I pick it up from a company locally. The protein blend is approximately 35 % beef, bone, muscle meat, tripe and organ, 40% chicken, 20% fish and 5% egg.

I'm looking for suggestions regarding any supplements I should be adding or whether you think this is would be okay to feed him one meal and canned the next.

I know that whole bones (prey model) is best, my dogs get it and sometimes I supplement with this protein blend for a treat. I'm just happy at this point he's eating something not already cooked!

Thanks!

Last edited by marie73; 04-18-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: font size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 09:31 PM
Premier Cat

I Hope our RAW feeders jump in on this to help you out!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 AM
Premier Cat

Hmm. Kinda raw newbie myself, but since it's ground, adding in taurine might be a good idea. Freezing and grinding, to my understanding, could degrade taurine levels. Also, if you know which protein source(s) were used, it would be helpful. Rabbit meat, for example has lower levels of taurine compared to other types of protein.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Banned

If he's still eating canned as well, I'm not sure you have to add any supplements. Also, since this is a premade raw it most likely has the supplements in it as well, although since it's not sold in stores I guess no one else on here will have experience with it. I don't see any problem with him eating both canned and raw, especially if the canned is high quality. I always sprinkle some extra taurine on my cat's meat chunks just to be sure, since cats will excrete any taurine they don't need so you can't go wrong.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Cat

The protein sources are beef, chicken and fish and it's about 30% fat. I have been adding a little taurine to it just to be safe. Even though it's a premade raw the farm where it comes from doesn't add anything to it. He goes crazy for it every morning so I will continue to give it as long as he does well on it. Thanks for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page