Basic Raw food diet questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2014, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Basic Raw food diet questions

Hey guys, this might sound like a really stupid question to all of you, but I figured theres no way to know unless I ask.

My cat Mew is a picky eater and he refuses to eat Pate style foods, so I'm curious about the raw food diet. Lately I've been considering trying out the raw diet with my cat. The problem is that I know nothing about the raw diet. So I have a few questions about it.

In the raw diet, do you cook the meat or leave it uncooked?

If you have a meat like Chicken, do you cook it? I ask because I know it's dangerous if it's uncooked to humans

Do you grind the main protein in a meat grinder so it becomes like a pate style, or is the grinder just for the bones and added minerals? I'm not sure if the meat needs to be grinded or just mixed in once the bones/minerals are blended.

Is preparing the raw food diet time consuming?

I heard that raw feeding is a lot cheaper than buying wet food from a can, is it true?

That's all the questions I have for now Sorry for the basic/stupid questions. It's just that I want to learn more about the raw diet since I've heard such amazing stories from it.

Last edited by jenniator; 04-23-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I found a supplement mix in Europe called TCfeline. If anyone knows about it, I would appreciate if they can help me with a few questions I have about it.

I was wondering if it had all the suppliments you normally need to buy seperately, but all together in one mix. I see it has a lot of supplements the raw diet requires. Basically I'm wondering if I buy this TCfeline mix, will I need to add any other suppliments in the Meat/Liver/Heart protein? Is it just as good as if I added the suppliements naturally? It would be wonderful if the TCfeline mix had all the suppliments mixed together since I wouldn't have to worry about buying a lot of different suppliments, measuring them, and it would be a lot easier since it's my first time doing the raw diet. Also if I use the Franken-prey style, would I be able to use the TCfeline mix or would it only work in the grinded style?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Premier Cat

The sell TCFeline mix here as well and yes it has all the suppliments in it. Here you can buy it with or without the liver. Check their website for more details. I used to use it (still have some in the freezer - it stays fresh if you freeze it), but my cats prefer the taste of freshly made raw. Many of the ingredients are some you might already have like eggs, fish oil, vitamin E, etc. It's MUCH cheaper to go that route. I buy young chickens and grind up the entire thing - usually making 6 pounds at a time.

I'm not familiar with Frankenprey myself, but many here use that. Do a forum search for Frankenprey and see what comes up. There is a ton of info on these two raw websites, too.

Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes

Feline Nutrition

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
The sell TCFeline mix here as well and yes it has all the suppliments in it. Here you can buy it with or without the liver. Check their website for more details. I used to use it (still have some in the freezer - it stays fresh if you freeze it), but my cats prefer the taste of freshly made raw. Many of the ingredients are some you might already have like eggs, fish oil, vitamin E, etc. It's MUCH cheaper to go that route. I buy young chickens and grind up the entire thing - usually making 6 pounds at a time.

I'm not familiar with Frankenprey myself, but many here use that. Do a forum search for Frankenprey and see what comes up. There is a ton of info on these two raw websites, too. Thank you so much for the links! I was actually looking for sample recipes!

Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes

Feline Nutrition
Hello,

That's really cool you have the TCFeline mix where your at also. It's good to know that your cats prefer to have the suppliments be fresh and that it's cheaper to buy the suppliments individually instead of in the pre-made mix. I have checked into the Frankenprey route and I don't think it is right for me. Especially since I'm not good with numbers or percentages. The grinded method seems the best for me since it's easy for first time beginners.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Premier Cat

the supplements are a one time buy and last a very long time - plus added advantage is they don't require special storage considerations. All you need to buy after that is the chicken, eggs and livers. Of course there was the cost of the grinder ($150), but I find I use it for all sorts of things including my favorite - turkey burgers!

TCf needs to be kept in a freezer between uses to maintain freshness and I found it to be quite expensive in the long run compared to the one time cost of the vitamins and minerals.

Best wishes! Only 2 of my 6 cats here like raw - and even then it's not every meal for them - so I don't go through a lot of it.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
the supplements are a one time buy and last a very long time - plus added advantage is they don't require special storage considerations. All you need to buy after that is the chicken, eggs and livers. Of course there was the cost of the grinder ($150), but I find I use it for all sorts of things including my favorite - turkey burgers!

TCf needs to be kept in a freezer between uses to maintain freshness and I found it to be quite expensive in the long run compared to the one time cost of the vitamins and minerals.

Best wishes! Only 2 of my 6 cats here like raw - and even then it's not every meal for them - so I don't go through a lot of it.
Thats good the supplements last a long time and it's easy to use with the proteins. I'm glad to hear the TCF is easy to store and it just needs to be kept in the freezer. It is more expensive, but it is also more convient. If you add the supplements individiually, don't you just throw them in the grinder and mix with the proteins/eggs? If so, then it doesn't sound too time consuming. That's unfortunate that only 2 of your cats like raw. I'm worried if Mew will like it since he is so picky. Do you know if the Grinded style is similar to Pate style in the wet foods? The reason I ask is because Mew doesn't really like Pate.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniator View Post
If you add the supplements individiually, don't you just throw them in the grinder and mix with the proteins/eggs? If so, then it doesn't sound too time consuming.
Um, rather than "throw them in the grinder", you need to carefully measure portions and use a scale for weighing the meat, as well as measuring spoons, cups, etc. (much like baking) and follow the recipe strictly as directed from the website(s). You may also need to debone some meat to prevent excess calcium intake, which can throw off the phosphorus/calcium ratio, especially rabbit. Dr. Pierson removes 25% of chicken bones as well, and explains why. Several fish oil soft gels need to be pierced with a sharp needle, then squeezed out of the covered coating. Further, she talks about adding liver to her chicken recipe, depending on the type of chicken you buy. She emphasizes that this is very important for a healthy, complete and balanced diet for the cat. So, all that being said, I think this can be somewhat more time consuming process, especially in the beginning, with lots of measuring, portions, deboning, etc. for a novice person who rarely cooks or bakes. But don't let this overwhelm you, Dr. Pierson admits she is not skilled in the kitchen at all, yet she has been able to make her food continuously. Another thought to consider: you'll definitely need exta space in the kitchen and a reasonable space in the freezer to make these as often as you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniator View Post
Do you know if the Grinded style is similar to Pate style in the wet foods? The reason I ask is because Mew doesn't really like Pate.
To my knowledge, there are different grinder plates that you may purchase if your cat doesn't like the soft, pate-like texture. Maybe the grinder comes with a few plates already included, so you may want to read up or call the company before ordering. However, know that some harder bones such as rabbit or larger poultry such as turkey would also be in larger chunks unless you debone them first. The good thing, though, is that you'll have full control of how the texture turns out. Chunkier meat seems to be favored by my two felines as well, but I don't know if that necessarily means they won't need a future dental cleaning, either. Perhaps someone who has been feeding raw for much longer can give you their opinion and experiences. FYI, I feed my two kitties commercial raw and occasionally the prey model raw to encourage good, dental health.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page