Whiskey got into the old kibble in the pantry! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thumbs down Whiskey got into the old kibble in the pantry!

So somehow the cabinet door got left open / not closed all the way when we left for work this morning... I came home and immediately knew Whiskey was up to something because she didn't meet me at the door. I quickly found the open cabinet door and crossed my fingers that she didn't get into anything. FALSE HOPE! She found the bag of Wellness Core kibble we gave her for snacks before we started her on raw about a month ago.

She ate a LOT of kibble. I'm a little freaked out because she ate raw this morning. There is no poo in her box yet, and I haven't found any accidents or throw up anywhere (though I haven't searched thoroughly). Whiskey is acting fine, just a little sleepy / sluggish (not unusual for the afternoon though). We're planning on having her skip dinner and feeding canned tomorrow morning.

Should we give her canned tomorrow evening as well, and not start back on raw until Friday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 05:28 PM
Banned

Don't panic - the way I understand it, the slower transit time caused by feeding raw and dry together only becomes a problem if there has been an introduction of harmful bacteria that then stays in contact with the cat's system for longer than it should.

What are the chances Whiskey ingested all that dry food just at the exact time she was exposed to a harmful bacteria that her body had not already eliminated? Not very good. The issue would have more of a tendency to rear its ugly head if you fed raw and dry all the time IMO. Still of course you will watch her and make sure she is feeling okay.

As far as the timing of re-introducing raw, I'll leave that advice to more experienced raw feeders.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:43 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via Skype™ to laurief
How old is Whiskey? I wouldn't be concerned about the combination of raw and dry, but I WOULD be concerned if she was an older cat who ate a large amount of high protein kibble that her body wasn't accustomed to handling. That could potentially trigger acute kidney failure in aged kidneys. But if she's a younger, otherwise healthy cat, it's likely that all she'll suffer out of her naughtiness is a bit of a bellyache and perhaps diarrhea for a while.

Laurie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Laurie, Whiskey is only about 2 years old.

I'm happy to report that she's been acting fine! Even though we didn't give her dinner last night, she didn't act starved this morning (she usually tries to convince us that she's dying of starvation). She had a little poo last night and it wasn't unusual, but I'm expecting there to be a whopper either today or tomorrow

Last edited by jamie.lynne; 05-01-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page