TCPremix/Grinder questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

TCPremix/Grinder questions

Hey everyone!

I'm back with a few more questions about the Raw Food Diet I've been doing a lot of research on it.

I decided to use a pre-mix the first time feeding raw to see how it goes and because it's easier than buying all the suppliments seperately for my first time. I was deciding between TCPremix and Felini Complete. The Felini Complete comes with 250 grams and it cost 27.49. The TCPremix comes with 600 grams and it cost 38.50. Since the TCPremix is a lot cheaper and comes with more grams, so I decided to go with that I love that the pre-mix has all the supplements in one powder. Hopefully the TCPremix last a while since it is pretty expensive. I do have only one cat though, so hopefully it won't go too quickly. I decided to go with the Grinding style of the Raw Diet.

Questions:

There are a lot of TCPremix's available. They have TCPremix Original, TCPremix Basic, TCPremix Fibre, TCPremix Plus, and TCPremix NoOvo. I was wondering what the best TCPremix would be for me to pick. I should mention that my cat doesn't have any allergies and I have no problem getting Liver/heart for the food.

If I use the TCPremix, do I need to grind up bones or add additional calcuim?

(If I need to grind bones still) Does anyone know a good brand for a Grinder that is able to grind bones in Europe/Netherlands? I know in the U.S., the Tasin TS-108 is a really good grinder, but unfortunately the shipping is expensive to get it here and I would need a adapter for it.

Does anyone know any TCPremix recipes ? (Would also like some tutorial videos if anyone knows of any)

Do I take the fat off of the meat or leave it on? I'm asking since I know the fat on meat isn't so good for humans, but I'm not sure if cats need it.

Those all all my questions. I appreciate you guys taking the time to help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I forgot to also ask, is it alright to feed some dry food along with the raw diet?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:40 AM
Banned

You'll have to check the ingredients of the premix to see about the calcium content, but I wouldn't think you would have to add any calcium or grind bones because it seems like that would be the point of a premix. I don't deal with any of that because I just feed my cat chunks of meat so no expense for premix, etc. I do add taurine and I do add ground eggshells for his calcium, since he won't chew bones and I haven't found chicken necks in the store yet (those can be smashed with a hammer and don't have to be chewed).

Feeding dry with raw is not something you should do because the transit time of the dry food is longer and could potentially keep bacteria in contact with the cat's system longer and allow the cat to get sick, where usually it would be passed quickly and wouldn't affect the cat. I think I have heard people say that a few kibbles of dry as a treat infrequently would be okay but not as a regular part of the meal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
You'll have to check the ingredients of the premix to see about the calcium content, but I wouldn't think you would have to add any calcium or grind bones because it seems like that would be the point of a premix. I don't deal with any of that because I just feed my cat chunks of meat so no expense for premix, etc. I do add taurine and I do add ground eggshells for his calcium, since he won't chew bones and I haven't found chicken necks in the store yet (those can be smashed with a hammer and don't have to be chewed).

Feeding dry with raw is not something you should do because the transit time of the dry food is longer and could potentially keep bacteria in contact with the cat's system longer and allow the cat to get sick, where usually it would be passed quickly and wouldn't affect the cat. I think I have heard people say that a few kibbles of dry as a treat infrequently would be okay but not as a regular part of the meal.
I did check the contents of the premix and it does have enough calcuim I believe. That's nice since I won't have to grind up bones. That's a smart idea to grind up eggshells for calcuium. That's pretty scary to hear how dangerous feeding dry with the raw is I was hoping I could feed them together. It's good though to hear I can use them as snacks.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Banned

Yeah, the raw with the dry can be dangerous for sure. Feeding canned with raw is fine though, if you wanted to make sure your cats will eat something other than raw if they ever had to be boarded or you had a cat sitter that wouldn't deal with the raw - or god forbid forgot to take frozen raw out of the freezer lol. My cat doesn't eat cat food, so when I forget it's serious. I have to soak it in warm water for quite a while before he can eat and trust me, he's not happy.

Also, as far as cutting the fat off the meat goes, I wouldn't worry about it unless your cat is overweight and then cut off some of it - maybe half of it - just as a weight management strategy. I don't think the fat has the same negative affect on cats that it has on humans.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniator View Post
Hey everyone!
The Felini Complete comes with 250 grams and it cost 27.49. The TCPremix comes with 600 grams and it cost 38.50. Since the TCPremix is a lot cheaper and comes with more grams, so I decided to go with that
But how much do you need to use? For example, to make 5 lbs of food you need 25 grams of Felini, but need 50 grams of TC....the Felini is actually cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page