Raw not agree with a minority of cats? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Raw not agree with a minority of cats?

My two kitties were being fed raw, but one of them has developed a problem.... my male cat seems to either throw up or have diarrhea. It's been the about 5-6 weeks now, from his first vomit on ground commercial turkey, then chicken, and venison, and today, rabbit! And yes, I've thawed it out and put warm water in it, to ensure it wasn't too cold. He eats veeeery slowly, too, so gulping it too fast is not an issue. He probably takes about 15 minutes, whereas my girl takes 5 minutes, tops! He also vomits several hours later...today, for example, threw up 10 hours after his AM meal. He also didn't have diarrhea at first, this has just started about 1 1/2 week ago, about a week after consuming venison. On his 2nd week on venison, I did add raw goat's milk, but stopped both after realizing the goat's milk may have been causing his loose stool, and stopped feeding him venison because he just couldn't seem to keep it down at all anymore. I went back to canned, adding water, digestive enzymes, and slippery elm bark to soothe his GI tract. No vomit issues then.

My question is, can some cats just be unable to eat raw? He has never thrown up while on dry or wet food before, and I went to the vet last week with a runny stool sample. He was tested negative for parasites, including coccidia and giardia. His stools have returned to normal the past few days after the supplementations with the canned, but today had thrown up after consuming about a tablespoon of raw ground rabbit mixed in his wellness turkey, and later seemed to be constipated as he could not have a BM and scooted his behind on my carpet. When I checked, there was a bit of blood, and his bum smelled "cheesy" (blegh...sorry, gross) and no stool, even after about 4 hours. I am thinking he'll have one tomorrow morning, though, so I'll check again then.

I am really considering taking him in to the vet again, but this will be his 3rd visit in 2-3 months! He is 9 months old, weighed 8lbs a few weeks ago, and seems to be relatively active, behaving normal otherwise...

Maybe I restarted feeding him raw again too soon? It was only about 4 days that he was eating canned food, absolutely no issues, ate with enthusiasm, too. It's only with raw that he eats slowly, so maybe his system just doesn't agree with it?

Any insight will be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

I've never been able to get Holly to keep down more than 1/3 of an ounce mixed in with canned food. And she won't eat it on it's own. It comes back up within minutes. So yeah, I think that some cats just don't deal with it well.

She does eat Stella & Chewy's freeze dried raw, she loves the duck. Lately I've been giving her that in place of the little bit of kibble she gets before bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:48 PM
Premier Cat

MowMow ate it at one time with ZERO problems. I've tried reintroducing it now 4 years later and he can't hold it down.... tiny tiny amounts are fine but to feed as a meal he just can't seem to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Cat Addict

My aunt's cat seems to have got pancreatitis around the same time (within weeks) of starting raw. It was too coincidental to start it again once she was back to normal... 1,600 dollars later.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for replying with your own personal experiences, everyone. I don't know if it's raw, necessarily, because since I've switched to canned wet food, though he does keep it down, he still seems to have softer than normal #2s. I also witnessed him again trying to eliminate once without success yesterday....he does eventually poop, though. He had a small one this morning, so I'm worried he might have something else messed up in his colon.

I wonder how long I should keep giving him the slippery elm bark? Sigh. I know this is only relieving his symptom, and not treating the cause...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM
Senior Cat

My husband is against raw he read a research article on it and how the animals had shorter lifespans... idk if this is true but it freaks me out

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Premier Cat

.... are you sure it didn't say that cats living OUTSIDE eating raw prey (that they caught) lived shorter lifespans?

Otherwise the article was completely bogus, imo.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Cat Addict

Katrina it isn't true. There have been no decent studies done on raw food, and even if there had been the people who pay for pet food studies are pet food companies. What do you think the chances of a pet food company publishing a study that compares their food to raw food unfavorably are?

Also, to give you an idea of how 'trustworthy' the studies can be here are two of my favorite examples:

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com...content&id=455

This one in particular is extra fun. In my last vet's office there was a poster that cited this study, the headline read: "Purina can increase your pet's lifespan!" (or something similar, it's been at least 3 years since I've seen it, but that was the jist)

If you read the study you'll see they were comparing Purina to ITSELF. They fed half the dogs controlled portions and half the dogs free fed. And yet the material they published said purina increased the lifespan...with no control group.

To be fair, this write up seems to have corrected that issue, but it was information they put out there for at least 3-5 years. Based on a ridiculous study.

Cambridge Journals Online - British Journal of Nutrition - Fulltext - Nutrition of the cat

This study was cited for a long time as a reason not to feed raw (although I had to do some SERIOUS digging to locate it now!). In the study half the cats were fed chopped up heart, the other were fed cooked chopped up heart...neither of which is a balanced diet in any sense of the term. It didn't end well.

Last edited by marie73; 06-25-2014 at 03:30 PM. Reason: removed linkn
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Senior Cat

I dont know what he read... I havent read anything. My vet recommends raw but she does not like ground raw meat because the surface bacteria is mixed up into the food but she said its a controversial and heated discussion between researchers. . I guess im wary.. but I cant feed raw to seamus because hr has fiv so I dont worry about it

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 01:57 PM
Cat Addict

You're vet has a lot of good info and she's right that it is controversial. The best way to form an opinion, I think, is to read up on both sides of the issue - research the points, discuss it with experts (aka vets on either side of the issue), and then decide what's right for you and your family based on you unique situation.

That being said, I don't know that him being FIV should prevent a raw diet as long as it's balanced, you're careful, and you educate yourself about proper raw management. That being said, I don't have experience with FIV kitties, so I'd suggest chatting to your vet about what she thinks if you'd like info specific to your case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page