Preparing for "Lunatic" - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Preparing for "Lunatic"

As mentioned in another posting, we have put a deposit down on a purebred Bengal with show/breeding rights from a well respected breeder. Our little girl will be coming home in early June. I haven't had the opportunity to talk to the breeder yet (husband did all the work...technically "his" cat and he likes the name Luna). But he is agreeable to a raw diet. I am assuming the breeder isn't feeding the kittens raw when they send home a bag of Royal Canin dry food (ugh).

When we get her, I am assuming we will need to transition her to raw from the wet/dry food she will be used to from the breeder. I know kittens have huge appetites and am guessing she will be extremely active (hence my appendage to her name...LunaTIC). How should we transition her to raw? Right away? Slowly? Would it be okay to leave dry (ugh) kibble out for her during the parts of the day when we are both at work? (That isn't often, but there are a handful of days each month when we both work the same shift and she would be home alone for several hours). Do we start with canned food and kibble..then slowly transition her? I don't want a "kibble monster".

We are looking for a second kitten for company. And I am really hoping her name isn't permanently Lunatic!

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 09:37 PM
Cool Cat

Ooh no idea about the food thing, but I am just thrilled for you!!
Can't wait to see more pix of your little Luna!! And maybe Luna's buddy to be ?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

Carrie the only thing I know, is if you feed raw, you can't feed dry...
I think It's ok to feed canned and raw...but I'm not swearing to it!
I hope our "Resident Foodies" jump in here for you!
I'm so excited for you and hubby!
Sharon

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Cat Addict

I truly think the whole "can't feed dry when you feed raw" thing is a myth. You can mox raw and canned, canned and dry, but not raw and dry? Doesn't make sense at all. Digestive systems dont move slower because of some food or another. Doesn't make any sense at all to me.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sara, Munch (deaf Domestic Shorthair),
Oliver (hearing Irish Terrier X),
Mouse (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Boo (deaf and vi Mini Dachshund),
Kat (partially deaf, and vi Mini Dachshund)
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:55 AM
Premier Cat

Mochas Mommy-
10cats is right. You can't feed dry food and raw at the same time. Kibble takes a longer time to digest in the kitty's tummy, so you don't want to do that while Luna is eating raw. You'll probably need to eliminate dry from her diet altogether, and start with wet food for a while before serving her a bit of raw food.
Whether you choose to go prey model raw or ground, will be up to you. Again, these sites are recommended for raw:
How to Transition Your Cat to a Raw Diet - Feline Nutrition

I hope you make some excellent acquaintances and let us in on some info too!

Again, congratulations on your new adoption! Hope you keep us posted of all of Luna's new life coming into your life!

Last edited by marie73; 05-16-2014 at 02:32 AM. Reason: removed links
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 12:55 AM
Cat Addict

... but they do digest at different rates. Some foods your body can process very quickly, others not so much. When I was throwing up a lot a few days last year I had to look into foods that would digest quickly, I needed something I could hold down long enough that I could digest it. I was very hungry.

Cook and Garden: Digestion Time of Various Foods

For cats which are carnivores, their digestion time is really fast compared to ours. They don't want the raw meat sitting in their body long enough to get something like salmonella. When you mix kibble with that, something that is more complex to digest, it makes the raw sit along with the kibble in the digestive tract and can lead to bacterial issues.

I would just put down some raw and see if she eats it. If so, no need to worry about anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Along with the dogs
and

Last edited by Carmel; 05-16-2014 at 12:57 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks everyone...I do want her to be raw exclusive, especially to help her keep her ready for shows. I was just concerned about the few days in June when she might be home alone. Once July comes, I am off work until September.

I know kittens need to eat often and if DH and I are both working the same day, she would be alone from 8am-about 4pm at the earliest. That is a bit long for a kitten to have no food.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 01:23 AM
Premier Cat

I don't really know if it's true, but I've read on that breeder's website that Bengals require more taurine. If so, I guess buying some powdered taurine from the health food store or online and sprinkling them on her food could help. I also know you could also give her more raw chicken hearts, too, if that were the case. (Hearts are the most active muscles, which contain high amounts of taurine)

My suggestion for when both you & your husband are away at work is to buy some freeze dried treats and hide them throughout your home so she can hunt and scavenge them while you're gone, hopefully as a snack. You could also use these if you have hardwood flooring:

Maybe other Bengal owners can advise you more?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

What form of raw are you planning on feeding? Commercial? Homemade Ground? Frankenprey? Whole Prey? It will matter for your transition plan...and maybe you need to start with commercial or homemade ground and then transition to a prey model.

You can feed kibble, just not at the same meal...you want several hours between a kibble and raw meal (probably 6 to 8 ).

If it were me...I'd get her on canned first. Then you can mix canned and raw as needed. If you need to leave a meal during the day, there are some commercial raw nugget products that thaw quickly...you could put them in a timer feeder just before you leave the house. Some timer feeders come with ice packs. So you could experiment with how long it takes the nuggets to thaw and stay cold and whether you need ice packs. You could also freeze canned to put in a timer feeder.

I believe the Instinct line says you can mix their kibble and raw. They also have the raw boost kibbles with freeze dried raw nuggets in it.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:06 AM
Cool Cat

Yay! Excited for you. Can't wait to see some nice pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page