Feeding commerical raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Feeding commerical raw

I was wondering what everyone's opinion is about feeding commercial raw to a cat with a history of urinary blockages. I want to eventually (when I move into my own place and am more stable) make my cats food, but for now I can afford supplementing with raw.

I feed my three cats all wet food. The brands I give them are Royal Canin Urinary SO (for Buddha), Dave's 95%, Merrick, Wellness, Nature's Variety, and Weruva. Should I just give them one meal of commercial raw a day to get some benefits of feeding raw? Or every other day?

Also, I have to choose between Nature's Variety Instinct and Primal. Anyone have any experience with either? Should I just go with the one with the lowest phosphorus?

Thanks guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Premier Cat

Molldee,

For your kitties, definitely go with fish-free raw if you want to reduce the phosphorus content. Fish oil is no problem. I've only tried Primal's chicken necks, but found better sourcing later. Maya loves crunchy bones!

I started feeding my kitties NV Instinct medallions because once it's thawed, it's pretty soft and easy to mix into their wet food. I'd try mixing in a tiny bit if they like it first. Or, you could just use several bite-sized pieces of raw chicken thighs and sort of mince/chop it up to see which kitty would be more into eating raw, mixed with their canned food. Chicken thighs and heart will have high taurine content, so it's great if they eat it! Once you decide to go raw, I'd do it daily, and slowly increase the raw and decrease the wet. Also, during the transition, adding probiotics in their wet food could help lower the chance of any loose stools. Normally, I'd add a bit of warm water to the wet food, then probiotics, mix it up, and then put some bits of ground raw in, but use the wet food as a topper/gravy.

I no longer use the NVI only because I don't like veggies in their food. Cats cannot digest or metabolize plant matter anyway, so I use a local commercial brand right now. You could also check out local butcher shops or dog food stores for a raw grind that may be appropriate for cats as well, you'd need to read the ingredient label to find out if it requires supplements or organ meats, etc. I found one of my local butcher shop who feeds his dogs raw, so he had special grinds for pets that are a bit more affordable than pet-store priced raw.

Since your kitty Buddha had several blockages and a PU done, I'd also think about getting his urine pH levels checked every now and then when he's on raw just to be safe:

Hope other raw feeders can give you some feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page