RF diet meal plan, can someone help me? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

RF diet meal plan, can someone help me?

This is the part which always stopped me before. May I ask the help of someone who could give me an idea of what to feed my two ladies.
I have two female sister cats:
Mia 1yr
Weight 5lbs
Not Spayed (she has medical issues which mean she cannot be put under).
Her build may be quite dainty however she is underweight.

Molly 1yr
Weight 7lbs
Spayed
She takes after the father who is larger than a jack Russell!

My local butcher is really helpful, is range would usually consist of Chicken, Pork, Beef & Lamb. He may get in some rabbit but it is hit and miss. It is all local so I am happy with the quality.

The reason I keep getting a lil worried is I see these meal plans with duck, geese, pheasant and all number of things.
I am happy to feed them separately but I am unsure how much to feed them of each. I don't think I can get anything ground up so what do I do about the bone? I got a neck bone (sheep) in the fridge. Can she gnaw on that, btw it is RAW.

Could someone help me draw up a meal plan? I know it is a lot to ask. I see that some people mention glandular capsules and salt with iodine.

Is it okay do do one meal of raw food and balance it with the rest of the meals being dry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 12:08 PM
Premier Cat

Most people suggest never mixing raw with dry (unless they are at least 12 hours apart). The theory is that dry food processes slower in the gut, therefore the raw food backs up behind it and is given time to produce bacteria. Some don't believe it. I personally don't see any need to feed a dry food (imo it defeats the purpose of feeding raw) and I'd rather not take chances so I don't mix them.

The calculation for your smaller cat (they are going to get different amount since they are different sizes) would be (providing she's average activity level and a little underweight because you think she's too thin).
5 X 16=80 X 4% = 3.2 X 7 = 22.4 ounces of food per week.

This would be split up to be (ounces per week):
80% Meat = 17.92 /Week
10% Bone = 2.24
.5% Secreting Organs = 1.12
.5% Non Secreting Organs = 1.12
*For the difference between secreting and non secreting see the web page I provided.

That's your jumping off point. If she's constipated, ease up on the bone a little bit. If she's got runny poos then increase the bone a little. If she's getting fat then change that 4% to 3% .... if she's losing weight increase it to 5%.....

You don't have to split up each % daily. For example Monday Wednesday Friday and Sunday Book gets only MM and a bit more of it. On Tuesday Thursday Saturday he gets all his bone and organs with a smaller amount of muscle meat. Also on Sunday ONE of his meals is replaced with 2 or 3 Sardines (for the good oils).

Some cats can't eat just organs, they have to eat MM with them or they get nauseous (I'm lucky, Book seems to have an iron gut).

You have to find the sweet spot for her and it may take a few months to find it.

I started Book at 5 months old on quail bones. At the time he was eating canned and getting one quail a week (for his teeth). At 5 months he was easily able to chomp through all but their drumstick...and after a few weeks he had enough jaw strength to snap those no problem.

Then we worked up to chicken wings, just the tip and the center section (not the drumette) Now he's able to chomp small drumettes pretty easily.

Last edited by marie73; 06-25-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: removed link
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sorry just FYI but you have never linked me anything before :/ An also the vets say she is quite under weight, actually two vets have commented on it. I did all the worming etc a few times just to make sure. Nothing in her stools so I believe that due to the scarring on her lungs making her congested in the nose it seems to reduce her appetite.

I am slightly worried that with our lifestyle we are sometimes gone for 12hours in a day. I use a maze feeder to give them enough nuts but make sure they do not over feed. Unsure what to do in those times now :/

I have read the linked page early this year however the percentages, ounces and all of that honestly confuse me. That's why I needed the help. Thank you for showing me the correct amount for Mia.

See ya'll talk about quail and the like, I have not a clue where to buy a quail. Plus I know they would not be fresh and local.

Oy I wish I could get the prepackaged stuff to start :/ this is quite a lifestyle change for all of us.

I may look at this again when I am sure I can handle all of this

Last edited by marie73; 06-25-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Premier Cat

I can relate to confusing. Once you understand the equation and the %s it's pretty easy.

I buy my quail (as well as the pancreas and thymus) at the local gourmet grocery store. The rest of his meat (wings, liver, and muscle meat) comes from the regular old grocery store.

I do all the shopping once a month for Book. Then I set up and assembly line with the chopped up meat, separated wing parts, freezer baggies with the day and the contents written on it in perm marker, and my kitchen scale. Once it's all bagged and zipped up I put it in a plastic tub and into the freezer.

Then each morning I pull out the next days (the current day is in the fridge because I pulled it out the day before).... squeeze out 1/3 of the contents into his bowl (they eat 3X per day) and then warm it in the convection oven on 100 for about 15 minutes. That gets it to a temp he seems to prefer.

ETA: Weird, I thought i had responded to another thread of yours with that link, but I don't see it now. It must have been someone else. My apologies!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Hmm I think once we get a bigger freezer I may do this. At the mo we are in an apartment that is difficult to fit anything else into lol. We are planning on a small chest freezer so once I have that I can really get into it.

I am curious what cuts of meat do you go for? Today I bought some lambs neck to help Mia get some more energy in her diet. Plus they seem to have gone all wild cat running around like true predators lol.
Any idea if the thyroid gland would be good or bad for them?

Last edited by marie73; 06-25-2014 at 03:26 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Banned

The thyroid gland is good for them, but it does have to be given in the right percentages - in this case 5% of their total allowance. Liver is also necessary, also 5%. What I use is liver and another secreting organ, like kidney (I have used both beef and lamb kidney so far), but thyroid is fine, I just have never been able to source it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Premier Cat

As Heather said, you can absolutely feed the thyroid. It's a secreting organ and when fed in a full raw prey model diet it should be fed in the percentage I showed you above. I would be worried to just randomly feed it, it may cause the runs without the other percentages to balance it out. To toss down a giant bone with meat on it and say "they had bone" isn't quite correct. The bone needs to be chewed up and INGESTED for it to do its job. I don't think the average cat can gnaw off enough bone from a large head to count.

I don't have a butcher around here (they closed shop last year) and I live in the land of granola crunchers, not many hunters to be found in my circles. All of my muscle meat is sourced from the grocery store. Whatever is on sale. Rarely beef, usually chicken and the occasional pork loin thrown in. Old frozen Cornish Hens go on sale pretty frequently so I snap those up when I see them.

I live in an apartment with a small fridge and for one cat for a full month it takes up a medium sized plastic tub. 2 cats would take up a little less than half my freezer for a month of food. It hasn't been an issue.

Last edited by MowMow; 06-25-2014 at 01:54 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather72754 View Post
The thyroid gland is good for them, but it does have to be given in the right percentages - in this case 5% of their total allowance. Liver is also necessary, also 5%. What I use is liver and another secreting organ, like kidney (I have used both beef and lamb kidney so far), but thyroid is fine, I just have never been able to source it.
Ah brilliant. I am lucky that our butchers have not closed, I know it is an issues in a lot of areas these days. My local butcher recommended the lambs neck which comes with the bone and thyroid gland inside. He asked if I wanted it removed, I did so this time just to be safe. I got a huge hunk of meat for only 3
I think once I get the big freezer I will be up to doing all of this. Makes more sense that when I can do it it batches instead of a week at a time. I barely have enough space as it is gah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page