Rabbit meat from Asian market - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Rabbit meat from Asian market

Hi,

I decided to try some rabbit meat for one of my cats who throws up the raw chicken.
I went to an Asian market yesterday and they carried whole frozen rabbit, yeah! It wasn't until I got home that I realized it says 'Product of China' on the packaging - which shouldn't have surprised me seeing that I bought it at an Asian market, duh!

I don't want to sound rude asking this but is it ok to feed rabbit from China raw? I wouldn't worry about it if I was cooking it. I'm concerned because it obviously has been subjected to a long transport time and could have thawed at some point (or multiple times) on its journey. Also, there was an article recently about meat from China and their food handling processes "being worse than we thought". On the other hand, you don't hear about food-borne illnesses being traced to Asian markets. My only concern is the raw part.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Banned

I do not think there is a way to know if "from china" = concern. Certainly, there has been enough reporting that things like melamine found in grade school milk (in china) has occurred, but is it "dangerous" for every food.
Not sure there is a way to know unless you own a lab and know what you're looking for.
I can't imagine everything from there is dangerous, but which, hard to know.
I'll be curious what others post.
Adding...some stuff we buy we may not even know is sourced from china so inadvertently, we may be consuming it anyway.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 12:31 PM
Tom Cat

At least if you buy it whole, you'll be able to identify it as rabbit. I don't know about the raw so much, but I guess your cat will have the final say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't feed it...why take the risk?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Tom Cat

Check around, you might be able to find someone who raises rabbits and butchers them out. That way you would know it's fresh and you could probably get a tour, so you could check out the place. If you can handle seeing the rabbits first.
Rabbit meat is actually so very healthy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KsKatt View Post
Check around, you might be able to find someone who raises rabbits and butchers them out. That way you would know it's fresh and you could probably get a tour, so you could check out the place. If you can handle seeing the rabbits first.
Rabbit meat is actually so very healthy.
It's healthy if the rabbit is grown and raised in a healthy environment, so I don't know how safe it is considering if it says it's from China or an unknown souce. Looking into exotic butchers is a good idea, though. Rabbit is indeed leaner in meat, but also high in bone, so it's important to reduce bone content and keep variation of meats in the cats diet, too.

Perhaps you could call some commercial raw pet food makers in your area and ask where they source their rabbit from? That can give you better leads to rabbit farms for sourcing. The one I get mine from is from a rabbit farm in Oregon, called "Nicky's Farm". I haven't been able to find a local WA state rabbit farm, unfortunately. I've also been curious to see what meats are available at my local farmer's markets. I'm more for supporting the local folks anyway, but I realize prices may not be cheap. It may be worthwhile to at least talk to folks about it, though.

Last edited by TabbCatt; 07-18-2014 at 04:04 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlebug View Post
I wouldn't feed it...why take the risk?
I think I agree with you. I would probably cook it for myself and give it a try but I don't think I want to risk it for my cats. I will take it back this weekend and see if I can't find rabbit at a local supermarket. Maybe Whole Foods or Sprouts?

I was also hoping to find someone locally to buy from. I wouldn't need it all the time even if my cats like it. For now, I can source it and will include it in my August order. I just wanted to make a tiny batch for one of my cats who stopped eating the raw chicken food I'm making. Wanted to see if it's the raw itself or the chicken that's upsetting his stomach (or if it was something completely unrelated). But I guess for safety reasons, I'll wait

Thank you, everyone, for your advice!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 03:32 PM
Cat

I've read articles of rabbit meat from china being loaded with antibiotics, but...who knows if it is true or not. Whole Foods sells USA bred rabbit now, I bought one there for my kitty to try, but she looked at it and didn't eat it. I put her chicken down and she gobbled it. I'm thinking I'll put a piece next to the chicken on her dish so she associates the smell with dinner and see what happens. I personally wouldn't trust the rabbit from China, but that's just me, and I get really leery with stuff like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page