Feeding Question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Feeding Question

Good day folks. I feed my 2 cats wet at 6am when I get up,and 6pm when I get home. About every 2 days I'll chop up a little raw(chicken,chicken hearts,chicken livers or beef,and mix it in the wet)...I've read about the concerns about feeding raw with dry(don't feed too close together).I don't feed my cats dry. I'm wondering if it would be ok to ,lets say,give them a few pieces of raw chicken around noon as a treat. Thanks!!

Last edited by marie73; 08-01-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Premier Cat

That should be fine. My two LOVE freeze dried chicken for treats...we use these for training. However, if we are making chicken for dinner, you can guarantee Luna will be parked immediately in the kitchen begging for her pieces of raw chicken....and if you don't immediately share, she will hop onto the counter and help herself before you can grab her off! You can also give your cats a raw chicken neck once a week...they can eat the bones if it is raw, neck bones are small enough for them to be safe, and their mouth/jaw gets a good workout (which it doesn't with wet diets)...and helps keep their teeth clean! (Added bonus with my kittens...I get quiet time without them chasing/play fighting!)

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Premier Cat

I don't see anything wrong with feeding raw treats, as long as they consume it quick enough in the hot summery months.

Chicken necks are great if your cats like chewing. I cut mine up into smaller bits though, and add some "soupy canned" food as the gravy marinade. (Additional water mixed in).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks for the replies. I've tried to find chicken necks, In fact I just came from another grocery store and the butcher said they don't sell them. I have chopped up the smallest bone of a chicken thigh into a couple pieces about the size of a pea,and they do crunch on those. I would love to find chicken necks....

And I'd never leave raw out for very long,even if my place is air conditioned. I'm new to the raw thing and am trying to get into it as much as I can. I also think it's the best option. Last night I gave them each a chopped up chicken liver on its own. Around 2 tablespoons. One gobbled and the other sniffed and walked away. Raw is a bit of a challenge. Thanks again...

Last edited by RatAndMop; 08-01-2014 at 02:39 PM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Sorry,had to post another because it wouldn't let me edit a second time....Ya,I always add water to the wet. Probably about 2 tablespoons. They pee a lot...
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Premier Cat

Ask at your local butcher if it would be possible to order in a bag of chicken necks...or check an Asian store. I have also heard some frankenprey models use chicken wings...I haven't been that brave yet!

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Commercial Raw..

Pasteurized vs Not Pasteurized...Anyone know the ins and outs?
Or perhaps can steer me to a good ardicle...Thanks...
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Tom Cat

Most commercial raw has high pressure pasteurization, meaning that it 'sterilizes' the food to eliminate pathogens that can cause an animal to get e.coli or salmonella.

Unpasteurized food is more 'raw'. It is the closest to an animal's real diet.

But, me, I'm a worry freak when it comes to my animals and I have a cat who has had some immune system problems in the past so I'm okay with HPP.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:34 PM
Cat Addict

A healthy cat shouldn't get e.coli or salmonella, even if it is present in the food. Their digestive systems evolved to handle exactly that sort of thing and to pass it through their body as quickly as possible.

For a cat who has had prior immune problems, like Texasgirl's, it might be prudent. For a normal cat/kitten...not necessary.

Freezing at certain low temperatures for 2 weeks will kill most pathogens, and since many pre-made raw is flash frozen it should be rendered safe simply through that process and being kept frozen that deeply for so long.

Personally, I see no reason to buy HPP food if you have a healthy cat. If it's more expensive I'd be much more likely to just go with the unpasteurized kind.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

The pasteurization process does destroy some of the natural vitamins/minerals/ enzymes etc. It also destroys all of the good bacteria as it can't distinguish between good & bad. Some of the brands that use HPP actually add back in vitamins etc. or add a variety of plant matter to boost those levels.

Raw feeding purists say that once pasteurized it's technically no longer raw. In addition the process only eliminates pathogens that are there at the time of the process and does not prevent the food from becoming infected later on down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Most commercial raw has high pressure pasteurization
I disagree with the "most" part of your comment. There are only a few 'raw' foods that I know of that use HPP. Instinct and Stewart use it on their entire line. Primal uses it on chicken only. I don't know of any others doing it, although with the stance that the AVMA and FDA have taken on raw foods we may see more manufacturers implementing it. If you know of other brands, please share...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page