Making raw food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Making raw food

Hi Everyone,

I had been feeding Callie (14 years old) Feline's Pride up until about 2 weeks ago when she had a bout of diarrhea and vomiting. Not sure if the food itself had anything to do with why she got sick, but I don't know how to tell and am nervous about feeding it to her again. I am debating sort of making my own food for her because I can't afford to keep giving her the Rad Cat and don't like giving her the Primal nuggets because I think they are so dry and have the vegetables she doesn't need. So... I was wondering if it is possible to get the Primal ground meat (without veggies or supplements) and add supplements. I can't go Frankenpray or buy meat from the store and grind or chop it myself. Do I try the Feline's Pride again? I still have about 6 pounds of Cornish Hen in the freezer. Or should I not risk it and do it myself?

Thank you!
Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Premier Cat

"I can't go Frankenpray or buy meat from the store and grind or chop it myself."

You have set an impossible bar, in my opinion (or I should say as far as I know). If you want to go raw, you HAVE to go to a store and buy and grind the meat yourself.
This is one of the best recipes I know of from a very well respected cat guru.

Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 06:53 AM
Banned

I would definitely do it yourself. As you said, no way of knowing what caused Callie's illness but with frankenprey you know there is nothing in there except what you put in. And you don't have to do all the supplement combining like in the recipe Marcia linked. It couldn't be simpler:

1. buy some boneless chicken or pork (to start), cut up chunks, feed them to your cat.
2. buy some liver and some kidney, feed about 1.5 oz. a week of each to your cat.
3. buy raw chicken necks, give your cat one to chew on (break up with a hammer first if your cat isn't inclined to chew it whole)

There are a couple of things you could add to this, but nothing you absolutely have to have. And it's much cheaper than high quality cat food for sure. As time goes on you'll want more variety of proteins, etc, but that is for later. The three steps I've outlined above will get you going with no fuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I worry if the food is not ground that she will not be able to chew it very well- she is 14 and has had some teeth removed. She can chew the ground food, but I worry with chunks and bones. Again, I am not able to grind the food myself, so that's not an option. I understand that is the best way to do it (grinding yourself or Frankenpray), but that isn't doable for me and many others and that's why there is high quality commercial raw available. I don't see her being into the Frankenpray since she's so picky. She would probably stare at me wondering why I didn't cut up her food for her.

I could try buying meat myself and cutting it up in a small mince, but where would I get meat that is okay for her? We don't have an Asian grocer in town- only regular supermarkets and a Whole Foods.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 02:48 PM
Premier Cat

We were at the Farm Market the other day and I noticed that a lot of the Butchers were offering ground dog food. I am pretty sure it was just the ground meat, nothing but meat....and a LOT cheaper than he was buying in the pet stores. In which case, cat owners could technically buy that meat and just make sure to add the organs and other things cats need. (My girls already like to eat their organ meat as treats). Might be something to look into....

Heather...with Liver and Kidney...would they need heart too for a good source of taurine?

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 04:54 PM
Banned

No, actually they don't need heart. It counts as one of the muscle meats, and it is certainly a good one for the added taurine but not a necessity. I also sprinkle taurine powder on my cat's meat chunks just to be sure he is getting enough - he does eat beef heart btw - because you cannot overdose on taurine as they eliminate any excess and it has no taste so they don't object.

Your cat will be able to chew the chunks of meat, I would bet. She might need them chunked up small to begin with but many cats do take to it readily. That way you don't have to worry about grinding. And yes, I buy my cat's meats from the regular supermarket - just cheaper cuts. My cat, who is a raw food LOVER from day one when I started him on frankenprey, doesn't even recognize the commercial raw as 'raw' - he won't eat it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-19-2014, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

After buying the meat, would I chunk it up and then freeze it or freeze first and then cut it up? Would I add any supplements? She already gets Lysine sprinkled over her nighttime meal for her pretty much dormant herpes in her eyes.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Jr. Cat

I wish someone would anwser this...

One of the reasons I usually try to re-word a raw food issue and get it in the Health and Nutrition forum is because so few people come to the raw section...

Last edited by marie73; 08-27-2014 at 03:02 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 AM
Banned

See response #3, it's already been answered. At least, that is how I do it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 AM
Jr. Cat

The part about freezing before and after wasn't..

Last edited by marie73; 08-27-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page