raw food-CountryPet Naturals lamb & chicken frozen raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Cat

raw food-CountryPet Naturals lamb & chicken frozen raw

i have been making chicken raw, but my cats are not wild about it....right now , my black female eats Costco dry(for 2 months now).....my Siamese has been eating earthborn chicken canned( seems to be getting tired of it).....anyhow

anyone familiar with this brand-whole foods sells it I quess.CountryPet Naturals lamb & chicken frozen raw. I am looking for some different options for feeding my cats that are cost effective

..I am going to get my black female off dry, I don,t like feeding my cats dry...

I thought this was interesting-

I feel it is also important to note that there are commercial raw options that cost less than feeding kibble! There are 3 commercial raw foods (excluding shipping) that cost less to feed (Natureís Menu Chicken, $0.61 per day; Aunt Jeniís chicken, $0.67 per day; Bravo Balance chicken, $0.68 per day) than 2 of the most expensive kibbles (California Natural Grain-Free Dry, $0.75 per day; and Newmanís Own Organics Adult Dry, $0.75 per day).

I also read a article, that canned food, supermarket vs premium canned, that the meat content was not much different...the article stated that canned foods made by these huge corporations,,,did not use chunks of real meat ...they are in it to make prophits...that might be true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Premier Cat

Are you going straight from dry to raw?

I am not familiar with that raw brand, but I do know most recommend NO kibble/dry when raw feeding. Generally you transition to wet (canned) food first, then to raw.

While transitioning, you could boil/bake chicken for your cats. Just chicken, nothing else...no spices, oils, nothing. Cut into small chunks...NO bones, and use it as a "treat".

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Cat

no...the 2 cats have been eating raw and canned...i just bought a bag at costco.....money was tight..now i am going back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Tom Cat

Okay, my question may sound stupid: I feed only raw and canned now but I am curious as to why you can't feed kibble while on raw (besides the fact that kibble is just bad for kitties) Is there a special reason?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 10:17 AM
Cat

Kibble isn't digested as quickly so it sits in the stomach longer. When you add raw to that it can cause bacteria and stomach upset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 05:52 AM
Tom Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlee18 View Post
Kibble isn't digested as quickly so it sits in the stomach longer. When you add raw to that it can cause bacteria and stomach upset.

Okay, thank you! I never knew this, as I have done this in the past when I started feeding raw. I would sprinkle a little kibble on top to get them to eat it. Thankfully they like the raw now.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2014, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
Cat

i probably should not have started the dry costco stuff...now my black female likes it,,and my siamese does too, though he will eat the eartborn chicken....they don,t care much for my raw food anymore,,,,,
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 03:19 AM
Premier Cat

ronss,

My suggestion is to never give up. There are reasons why cats like kibble, especially if that's all they've eaten most of their lives! Kibble manufacturers "cheat" by spraying special tasty stuff on kibble, that's why they grow to love eating them so much, so it's not your fault! You've just got to be more stubborn than they are! Like Mocha's Mommy said, switch your kitties to wet first before going on to raw. Once they're all eating canned, you can make steps to re-introduce raw meats again. I notice many choose to feed chicken, but variety is the spice of life! It may depend on your cats, but my two are "meh" with chicken. Well, ground chicken, I should say. They prefer chunky textures, so that's what I give them. Maya loves to munch on crunchy bones like chicken wings and necks, too! A local brand here makes commercial cat food that is ground but in a chunky texture that my two love. Sometimes you've just got to try a bunch of things to find what they really go for!

For more info and inspirations to transition your kitties from dry to raw, read up on catinfo.org if you're not familiar with it. There's nothing like having a feline veterinarian give you step-by-step how-to's on raw feeding!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page