So I've mentioned that I work in a natural/holistic dog and cat supply store. This means I can feed, and have access to, a huge variety of raw foods. The purpose of this thread is mainly to get some good light on some rather unknown raw foods, and some that are very commercially available. I've given each a rating (1-5) and a short reason why. These are all foods that I feed personally.
Yes, these are MY opinions! I hope this helps other raw feeders in making decisions, although we must remember that all cats are different...and that Samantha is a garbage disposal, lol!
Yeah if you do the research, a lot of the protein-brand combinations I feed claim to be 'dog only'. I can get away with this because I feed a wide variety of foods. Also, more often than not, if it's meat/bone/organ based, there is enough taurine to over this.
My cats get real hearts, chicken and duck, to make up for any taurine issues!
Samantha has a beef allergy. It's severe. No beef will be included in the making of this thread. She's also difficult and requires a different protein and texture every meal...yes I DO cater to her needs.
- 2 - I give this one a 2 because it's my least favorite out of all that I feed. Samantha (despite being a garbage disposal), can only keep down the Duck, Rabbit, and Chicken/Turkey formulas. For some reason their lamb makes her vomit (they use lamb in their Lamb and Venison formulas). Also, from a retailer standpoint, they have been doing some things that I don't really understand...I'll explain more if anyone asks.
- 3 - Primal is pretty darn good. My kitties LOVE their Rabbit and Turkey formulas, and when in doubt they will eat these without fail. Unfortunately they still put veggies and fruits in their formulas and we raw feeders know kitties don't really need those. I do like the organic ingredients.
- 4 - AWESOME food. The only reason I won't rate this one a 5 is because my cats refuse to eat it!! It uses no synthetics at all, instead relying on whole food ingredients to make up for the vitamins and minerals. The bone tends to be ground big though, which is part of why I assume is one reason my guys won't touch it.
Stella and Chewy's
- 3 - A great alternative to Primal or Nature's Variety. They have a ton of flavors, of which Venison, Rabbit, and Pheasant seem to go over the best. They still include veggies and fruits, so they didn't rate higher.
- 3 - Another good all around food. I prefer the basic formulas over the others, as there are no veggies/fruits. My cats will eat their Rabbit, Chicken, and Lamb formulas. Very cost effective compared to most, especially if you buy the chubs (the larger chub size the better!).
- 4 - WONDERFUL. The only reason this one doesn't get a 5 is because they presently only have two 'cat' only formulas out...Chicken and Beef...and I mentioned that Sammy can't do Beef...not to mention that they are only 1lb (and it's expensive). I instead get the 'Straight Dog' formulas...4lb cartons (no plastic!), in either Chicken or Pork. The 'Straight' means they are pretty much just meat/bone/organ. Answers also makes an incredible raw and unpasteurized goat milk formula...it's incredibly nutritious, and full of wonderful probiotics and prebiotics, and my cats get some four times a week.
- 5 - One of my absolute favorites! Claims to be 'dog only', but every formula is strictly meat/bone/and-tons-of-organ, so I don't worry about the taurine content. I love that I don't have to worry about any sneaky beef in the formulas, because the organ content matches the proteins the formulas are...if it says Chicken, it's 100% chicken! I buy the 6lb patties bag, and it's very affordable. My kitties love the Turkey, Duck, and Wild Boar formulas best.
- 5 - Gets a 5 because it's the only food I don't have to put a food topper on to get Jules to eat (incredible!). All my kitties love this food, and they get the Turkey and Lamb formulas. Fairly affordable, and the organic ingredients are a great touch.