Bones, afraid to give them to Charli... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-21-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question Bones, afraid to give them to Charli...

Maybe a more experienced raw feeder can help me. I am afraid to give my Charli bones. I do grind them for her with organs to go with her chunks, but I'm scared to give her the actual bone. And she's been spitting out bone pieces, I hear them hit the plate. Lol Am I being silly? What is the best to start her with, and is there any possibility she would choke? She is really good at gnawing at her large food chunks. She's 7 months and 1 week old, and she's about 8 lbs right now. I was carving meat off a turkey leg for her, and she was trying to chew on the end of it, so I'm thinking she might really enjoy having them and I know they would be good for her. Oh, and I've solved the liver issue. I put it in a blender with chicken chunks and once all smoothed together I mix a portion of that with her dinner and she eats it. Phew. I had gotten her some fresh freeze dried liver and she ate one teensy piece and that was the end of that. So anyhow, bone advice? Thanks so much!

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 01:53 PM
Premier Cat

I started off feeding mine with small chicken bones. You could start off with wing tips, then gradually work up to chicken necks or even the chicken thigh bones. I still cut mine up in small chunks for G. Raw bones are fine for cat's digestion. It's the cooked one that splinters and can make perforations in their GI tract so never give cooked bones to carnivores. Maya swallows her chunks whole with her meat, after gnawing and biting them off into more manageable pieces...I think she's perfected the art of eating raw, meaty bones!

I wouldn't give turkey bones to cats...I think they're too big for them to chew on like dogs would.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:43 PM
Jr. Cat

i gave my cat turkey next and found they were too big. Chicken necks are find though. But i agree with above post, chicken ribs, wings are a good start. Just give the ribs with the connecting tissue intact. Small bones, not small bites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Okay, thank you....it just makes me nervous, but I'll give it a try, I'll make them small enough that she can swallow and mix them in with her meat....nervous mama...thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Premier Cat

I was so scared the first time I gave bones to MowMow. I purposely did it on a Friday so I could stay home and watch him ALL weekend. I was ready to bolt for the vets at the first sign of any trouble.

Now, when I give them their raw bones I just throw them down whole and let them have at it. I went from complete anxiety to a sense of pure satisfaction in watching them crunch them down.

I also started with wing tips. THen added the middle joints....

Book has now gotten strong enough to gnaw on the drumette. Little Neelix is still on wing tips and quail along with the old guy (MowMow).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Senior Cat

They will do fine with bones as long as they are raw. Mine started with chicken necks, you can crush the bones up a bit to help them. If you're really unsure, try to find really small birds like cornish hens - the necks, ribs and wing tips of those are very tiny. Don't worry, Charli will be fine! And it's very healthy for cats.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 04:15 PM
Senior Cat

When I was first transitioning to raw, I gave them chicken thighs thinking they would eat the meat off of the bone. 3 cats did that and one just at the whole thing... giant chicken thigh bone and all. That definitely made me less nervous about bones!! I had planned to work bones in slowly and had cornish hens all ready to go, but the day before bone day Orion just went ahead and ate the entire thigh messing up my careful plans.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 11:32 PM
Jr. Cat

i definitely am scared of the potential hazard. I just found some local place that sells raw with meat and bone. Got it home and felt the bone... and being unsure about the size of it i reground the meat. lol i think im paranoid as well
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Cat

You and I are in the same place, Spazz. I bought chicken wings thinking to give her the tips, and they are sitting in my freezer and all I do is look at them and think, maybe tomorrow....

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Cool Cat

our cats are funny with bones.
before i knew any better, i tried a turkey bone. as someone mentioned already, it was way too big. that was the very first intro to bones for our cats. our orange tabby was actually afraid of it, but our senior girl dragged it right out of the bowl and tried to rip meat off it.

then we switched to chicken necks and cut them into 1/2 inch pieces. our tabby took to them like he was rabid. ha ha! it's his favorite food now and it's incredible watching him crunch on those bones.

our senior girl has kidney problems now, tho, so we don't give her any bones (only the tiny bit that is ground up in her packaged raw already), however, whenever she finds the tiniest piece of bone in her raw, she does spit it out. funny how she could drag a turkey bone around, but spits out miniscule pieces of bone. guess she doesn't like it on her tongue like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page