How much is enough? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Cat

How much is enough?

I have 3 cats. Ages 10(smudge) , 8(jack) and 4(abby) . They are all on wet food only with only 1 of them(Jack) eating some commerial raw foods and a little raw chicken wing and liver. Smudge will also eat a little chicken/liver. Abby still won't have anything to do with most raw food. My question is, how much liver is safe to feed them during the week. I know there is already vitamin A in their wet food and in the raw since the raw has liver in it also. I just started them on liver maybe 5 days ago. They have gotten appx. 2 oz of liver in that time. I really can't figure out how much they can have without it being too much. Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat

no one???
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 05:37 PM
Banned

My cat Sunny gets 1.5 ounces of liver a week and 1.5 ounces of kidney as well as part of his frankenprey model diet but I figured out what he needed with a formula I found, can't remember where now. If your cats are eating cat food you don't have to worry so much about balancing everything though. I know too much liver is not good because they can develop diarrhea but I'm not sure where that cutoff would be, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 06:15 PM
Cat

From what I read, too much vitamin A is really toxic to cats. That's why I don't feed my kitties cod liver oil or raw liver. They already get it from their wet food.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2014, 07:03 PM
Cat

Commercial raw will have the liver needs covered, if you are just adding a bit of a wing or something here or there, I would not give the extra liver. I feed home made raw, so I have to be sure Charli does eat liver, but I only give the amount specified in the raw food recipe, as too much is not good.

Mom to Charli, Maggie, Baby Kitty and Tessa!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

thanks for the responses! I'm only giving it to them as a treat and to try to expand their tastes for raw foods. Especially abby, who doesn't seem to want anything to do with raw food. I know they get the vitamin A that they NEED, I just wanted to make sure that giving an ounce or so a week would not be TOO much vitamin A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page