Looking to try out some new meat sources - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Looking to try out some new meat sources

Hello all!

I have a beautiful 19 week old Devon rex baby who has been eating raw food since we got him at 14 weeks.

Loki adjusted well to the change in food from kibble and is fed twice a day in the morning and night.

We currently follow Dr Pierson's recipe on Catinfo.org.

The only slight changes we have made is instead of Rabbit meat we feed him Kangaroo (we live in Aus obviously!)

Now the problem with this is the Roo can be a bit pricey but I can't for the life of me get any rabbit meat in my area atm as their is a shortage or something.

So what I was wondering was if anyone had tried any other raw food meat sources and what peoples opinions on them were.

I have read that beef can cause allergies and that pork is too risk with the parasites but was wondering on what peoples views were on feeding lamb? Particularly lamb bones as we grind our bones up in the grinder.

At the moment Loki is fed turkey, chicken and roo but I would really like at least one more readily available meat source that I can change out when the roo isn't accessible.

All advice and suggestions are welcome!
Thanks in advance

xox
Emi & Loki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Premier Cat

My two cats don't like lamb. I've tried the commercial ground mix by Radcat, and it was a definite "no" by them both. They do, however, like freeze dried lamb treats (livers), so it may have to do more with the cat's preference to the textures of food. My two prefer chunkier meats, though G likes his ground up more than boney pieces like chicken necks I try to make him eat...

If you decide to go with pork, you may need to freeze it for 48 hours, I think, to kill off the possible parasites first, then thaw it out and feed.

I feed mine chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit and venison. Some are local commercial brands, and sometimes I buy from my local butcher...things like chicken heart, livers and necks. I guess I'm lucky, they could also have all of those selections ground, if I choose to, but I'd have to add supplements to it, of course.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Premier Cat

Darn, took too long before the edit option to reach its max 5 minute mark.

I'd look into NZ brushtail if that's more available and maybe more affordable to you? I know Addiction (canned cat food) uses it as one of their proteins, and it was a thumbs up with my two (canned), but I just didn't like their added vegetables being up so high on the list.

https://www.addictionfoods.com/produ...etables-entree

I also think the more variety you include as part of their rotation, the less likely you need to worry about allergies, so maybe adding a bit of beef now and then isn't really bad?

Hope others (maybe more Aussies?) can add their suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for that Tabbcatt!

I do want to just stay away from the pork all together I think I have just read too many conflicting issues with the dealing of the parasites.

I think I might get some lamb chunks and give him a try with them. I do want to stay as close to the "natural" prey model as possible but cat's aren't exactly native over here anyway so that makes it a bit trickier haha.

It's just so hard to get non-mainstream meat sources in here but I didn't even think about trying the duck.

I would love to try some smaller game animals like the brushtail or the rabbit but the only way that would go ahead is if I bought the commercial raw food and frankly I have just learnt everything as far as making my own goes and I like knowing what goes into everything so I am a little hesitant on buying the premade stuff.

I found a website that ships wild game animals like roo, rabbit and alligator (don't think I will try that one) but again it is just a little on the pricey side.

That and so many butchers get so offended when you tell them the meat is for your cat haha!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 04:35 PM
Premier Cat

Emiline,

If your kitty likes poultry, you could also buy cornish hens at the supermarket. It's much smaller than chicken and may help if you want your kitten to start eating bones. I was on the hunt for quail or pheasant, but I can't find any that's affordable, so maybe I'll find something later on.

I've also heard of folks feeding their cats crickets as a treat maybe once a week...by releasing them in the bathtub for some play/hunt/eating skills...could be fun to watch, too.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Hey Tabb!

I think I might give the hens ago as well. Quail is too expensive here as well unfortunately :<

He gets bones ground up and put into his food so he is ok with them for now ^^

The crickets sound like a awesome idea though! The sell plenty of live ones of those at the shops
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Tom Cat

Hi Emiline!

I've fed lots of meats, although I try to keep the red meat to less than 40% of the diet.

I've found and fed:
duck
turkey
chicken
guinea fowl
cornish hen
lamb
pork
beef
wild boar
goat
mice
rabbit

I'll feed most anything I can find that is healthy - farmers markets and butchers are great places to source meats from.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks Tiliqua for the list!

I definitely will give the duck, and lamb a go as well as the roo, chicken and turkey he already gets but unfortunately the rest of the meats are a little hard to source where I am here or are much too expensive.

To get a whole rabbit shipped to me for example (there are NONE locally, tried so many butchers) is about $40-60 for a small rabbit :<

I think I could find some of the cornish hens and guinea fowl though.

Wild pig is definitely a no no over here, they are riddled with parasites and I just don't want to take the risks.

thanks again for the list!

ps. Did you find any issues with feeding the beef? Like was your baby fussy or anything?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:43 PM
Tom Cat

I have 4 cats so I had a range of reactions. 2 ate anything. 1 was ok if slowly introduced. 1 is still picky but mostly fine with anything, not great with bone in meals. None of them have sensitive stomaches or anything, so it was just about chopping it fine enough or finding a way to serve it that they would like it.

I didn't really worry about what meat they were getting, I just tried to feed 60% white meat (chicken, duck, turkey, rabbit, guinnea fowl etc) and 40% red meat with the right balance for a healthy diet (80% muscle meat, etc). So I sourced whatever I could get for a reasonable price and worked it into the diet. I'm lucky, most of the cats I have aren't terribly picky so they took to new items fairly well.

Beef was actually a huge hit, same with pork. The items I had to work to get them to eat were bone-in ones initially, kidney and whole mice. For my guys, any kind of heart, liver or muscle meat that was offered was eaten. I get ground bone from the butcher shop to add to meals for the one that doesn't like bone in meals.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Cat

They all do have their own personality don't they

I feel like Loki would probably eat anything I put in front of him tbh.

I think I will give the beef ago and do the same thing, keep it mostly white meat.

thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page