Commercial vs homemade - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Commercial vs homemade

Hey folks

I know that this is a rather hot debatable topic when choosing what to feed your cat and I am mostly making this post to alleviate my own concerns.

At the moment I am making my own homemade food and we haven't had any issues like constipation or diarrhea or vomiting.

I buy my meat frozen from the local pet store, bring it home and partially cook the outside of the meat and then mince/cut it up and then refreeze it.

Food is taken out on the day that it is going to be served and defrosted in the fridge. When I feed it to Loki, I heat it up slightly and he eats it all within 30 mins (he is a such a little piglet) so it's not being left out long.

My worry is of course that feeding him raw he might get sick or a parasite.

So I want to know what other steps I can take to minimize these risks or if I should just switch completely to a commercial food?

My concern with commercial is just that I have no way of knowing what really is going into it or the preparation. That being said I have no way of knowing whether the place I am sourcing my meat from is reputable either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:38 PM
Premier Cat

You're buying a complete commercial raw food from the pet store or just muscle meat?

Cooking the food, even a little, destroys nutrients, . The cat may not be getting his daily requirement of all nutrients.

If you don't feel comfortable feeding a true raw diet, IMO you need to switch to a good quality grain free canned diet.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I am buying muscle meat and I am only cooking the surface a very very little amount as recommended by Dr Pierson on Catinfo.org which is the recipe I am following
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Cat

I don't think he is having any nutritional issues, his coat is wonderfully soft and shiny, and the vet said he is a good weight and health and he has a lot of energy.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

Muscle meat alone is not a balanced diet. It needs to include bone and organs for proper nutrition.

Short term isn't the problem, long term health is the issue. Especially for a growing young kitten.

If you aren't including those things, a supplement is required.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for your concern but I am including all of those

the recipe that I listed above includes supplements and livers and I grind up the bone with the meat so he gets his calcium.

I know the recipe is complete as this is one that I have seen praised and used a lot on a lot of raw food forums.

My only concern was that there I was more I could do to prevent contamination :<
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:58 PM
Cat Addict

Ditto what Krissy said - him eating only muscle meat is like you only eating apples. Sure, its good for you but it is NOT a complete diet.

I'd suggest feeding him eitger commercial raw or canned food or a combination of the two. At least until you do some more research into preparing a raw diet.

The basic mistakes you're making are:

Only muscle meat
A raw diet should consist of approx 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ.

Cooking it
Cats are carnivores. Their digestive system is literally designed to handle raw meat. A healthy cat is at a very low risk of becoming sick due to a raw diet no matter the source (parasites are the main issue with raw diets that arent properly sourced...and a working pill will remedy that nice and quick).

Im going to guess you're feeding only one meat as well, if you are feeding a variety then skip this.
its doubly important that kittens get a well made diet, with raw that means properly balanced, RAW, and as many kinds of animals as possible.

*ETA I also missed the bit about buying it from the pet store, Sorry!! However cooking it is still an issue. It needs to be RAW! If you're really worried you can feed him in a kennel...but realistically cats are made to eat raw meat and by cooking the balanced raw diet youre lowering the quality.

Last edited by librarychick; 09-30-2014 at 12:00 AM.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I thank you guys for your concerns... but I already stated that I am NOT just feeding him muscle meat x.x

The recipe I listed contains a heap of vitamins as well as bone and organs.
I am also feeding him a variety of meats

I really do appreciate where your concerns are coming from but please do read I posted first.

My concern is not with the recipe, my concern is with contamination
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I only mentioned the muscle meat because of its SOURCE location. I am wondering where others source the meat from and where they think is better.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2014, 12:10 AM
Premier Cat

I get mine from the grocery store. It's all human grade food. At the beginning of each month I buy all the required meat, liver, kidney, and bone then set up an assembly line to package it. Then it's frozen and thawed in the fridge the night before I need it. I warm it in the toaster oven set to 90 degrees for 1/2 an hour. This brings it to room temp. I freeze a month's worth at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page