Concerned with antibiotics in poultry - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Concerned with antibiotics in poultry

Recently I learnt that most poultry meat(/organs) in my country are laced with high levels of antibiotics. Poultry are pumped with antibiotics and hormones to boost their growth rate which a study has linked to increasing antibiotic resistance in humans. At least I didn't see presence of hormones in meat indicated in the study, but yeah...

This news, coupled with my cats no longer being as interested in a raw diet meant I've gone back to using commercial wet food and a bit of dry food for the past 2-3 months.

What do you think is the lesser of the evils: antibiotic laced poultry or low quality canned food?

No good canned food OR organic poultry is available where I live. The best known commercial brand available here is Solid Gold Indigo but they only stock dry food.

PS: There is also the tangential issue of ethical concerns in that the poultry here are usually kept in appalling conditions and live their entire lives confined in cramped cages, but I appreciate that is an even more complex issue and something I'll have to ponder over separately.

Last edited by mickeyandthecubs; 10-13-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 04:59 AM
Cat

Howdy!

Is there perhaps the option to order in some good canned food?

I am a nurse by trade and I know one of the big issues with antibiotics in chicken is that prolonged exposure to small amounts of antibiotics will eventually lead to pathogens becoming resistant to that type.

I believe the the amount they put into the chickens is below therapeutic level so it is quite small but still enough to cause concern.

WHO recommends that we don't put antibiotics used to treat humans in our meat because we are already developing resistances.

So I would assume that same logic would also apply to your cat. If your cat gets sick and he is immune to the antibiotic because he has been feed it constantly you are going to have a problem.

That poses two more points of interest. One; is the antibiotics in your chicken the same that you would use for your cat? Two; are the antibiotics in the chicken flat out dangerous for the cat.

That being said if you are in America (And I am assuming here so please forgive me) your department of agriculture and food safety has rules that before a chicken can be slaughtered there has to be a withdrawal period so it gives time for the antibiotics to pass through the system. They also report they do random checks and find very low levels of residual antibiotics.

Chicken from Farm to Table

Though how reliable that is I cannot tell you.

Though these are all things I would consider before I proceeded with feeding the chicken

Though maybe ordering in some good quality stuff offline might be easier

Loki: Blue point Devon Rex
Freyja: My flame and blue Devon Rex
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks Emiline, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!

I don't live in America and food regulation is virtually non-existent in my part of world which is why I'm concerned about the efficacy of continuing raw. The recent study on poultry here notes that Chinese imported antibiotics were used on chicken but it doesn't specify details such as the US data you just linked.

Good pet food options are so limited here, virtually every canned food available (Royal Canin/Whiskas/Sheba - basically Mars corp) has been widely panned on this forum as being unsuitable or low quality.

I should add that my cats were served meat/organs/bones from local poultry for around 9-10 months and have been just fine - even the antibiotics given after they were spayed did work fairly well. The problem is that I have no idea if the health implications of feeding this kind of poultry are only visible in the long term - this is a bit counter-intuitive because the whole point of going raw is to a feed species appropriate diet and avoid long term health problems isn't it?

And then there's the treatment of those poor chicken trapped forever in their tiny cages, sigh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 06:57 AM
Cat

The ethical side of it is a issue, but as you stated probably a issue for another time.

I feel very fortunate that we have the option here to get free range chicken for myself and my baby

Is there anyway to check if perhaps your countries agriculture department also follows some sort of guidelines when it comes to weaning the chooks off the antibiotics before slaughter? I know you said that they don't monitor it very closely but perhaps you could do a search around.

Is there anyway you could order online from another country the canned food required or is that too much red tape (I honestly don't know anything about it).

At the end of the day if you are unable to find out the details of the type of antibiotics or if they are still in the system with the slaughter and are unable to order online any food I would probably say go with the canned food in your area still.

Cats have lived 15 years off dry food, it's not optimal and really it comes down to a personal preference. Do you think there is a greater risk of antibiotic resistance and sickness or is there a greater risk of bad food (and not sure how bad it is so assuming again) not being entirely species appropriate and causing some health issues down the track.

From what I have read the human antibiotics that are used in cats are Amoxyicillian, Tetracycline and Ampicillin.

I don't know how much that info helps you though but whatever you do decide to do I am sure it is with the best intentions and love for your babies so don't feel guilty.

EDIT: Just because the cats CAN live off terrible food for a long time doesn't mean it is healthy, just stating that it does happen.

Last edited by Emiline; 10-13-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks again, Cefalexin is the antibiotic that vets here prescribe for cats.

BTW, positive news - the study I was worried of was apparently conducted in the unorganised poultry sector. The brand of chicken I use for my cats issued a statement that there's no concerns with their products and I also saw an older article (2001) where said company explains how they use a withdrawal period for antibiotics before slaughter (similar to the article you linked). Finally they've been recently acquired by Tyson Foods - a U.S company based in Arkansas, there's a ray of hope that they are taking quality seriously.

So all that's left are the ethical concerns! The first ever free range poultry shop just opened up in my country a while back. While they only sell eggs for now, that's hope for the future (and on a selfish note I can finally be able to buy free range eggs for myself). Until then I'll have to ruminate over the ethical questions posed by non-free-range poultry.

Thanks again for your insight!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Cat

Anytime!

So glad you were able to find a positive information about your chicken!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page