Nature's Variety Instinct - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Nature's Variety Instinct

I have posted about my older cat a few times now, she has mild to moderate IBD. We have tried a variety of foods for her, she did best on Natural Balance Rabbit formula but even then she still threw up a bit.

I have been reading up on raw diet and I really want to try it for her. My BF says though he wants food that has AAFCO tested, I would prefer to do homemade but he is completely against that. I finally managed to find a food that is AAFCO tested and raw, has anyone tried Nature's Variety Instinct Raw? I would like opinions of people who have tried it, if anyone here has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 03:05 AM
Premier Cat

I've tried NV raw bites, they look like little pebbles and come in small packages in the store for about $14. I got the duck flavor, and my two did eat it, but they prefer regular meat rather than "pebbles" or even "medallions" like other brands have. I think it's a great start to try commercial raw, but can be pricey considering the amount you pay for. My cats are mostly about texture when it comes to raw because there is little scent in raw meats compared to canned food. NV is a great, high quality brand, but in the end it will be your cats that choose to eat it or not. There are many benefits to raw, as long as you are informed all about its preparation, how it needs to be balanced, and of course keeing things sanitary for your own health.

Isn't the AAFCO overrated a bit? You can make better food, I'm sure of it! (Better than many of those commercial foods out there, yes!) Here's an intersting article, and an informative website in general:

http://truthaboutpetfood.com/learn-t...d-ingredients/

Last edited by TabbCatt; 11-10-2014 at 03:08 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 02:19 PM
Cat

I use their canned food. And I've tried their venison and rabbit frozen raw. I had no luck with my cats eating it. I tried for about 6 months. Granted 2 of them were older (8 and 9yo) 1 is 4 and she's stuck on wet food. I even went as far as warming it up slightly in a pan. That garned a couple of licks. I don't hold it against NV... This is with numerous brands. The one they would eat the most was vital essentials and primal.. Vital essentials is marketed for dogs, not cats, but it's fine for cats too. They really liked the primal rabbit and i may still buy that on occasion. Still, i was wasting so much of it that i gave up on frozen raw and now feed dehyrated raw along with the canned. I too did not want to tackle making my own food. My cats like the NV raw bites also, but the bag is miniscule and would cost a fortune to feed. I can get it here for around $9(for 3oz i think)... I now feed them NV canned in the morning that I order through Amazon's subscribe and save program and give them either stella & chewy's or Primal dehydrated. You just rehydrate with warm water or they can eat it dry... Just depends on how picky they are on any given day good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Premier Cat

My two girls LOVE NV Instinct raw chicken...the little pellets. That said, it is quite expensive, especially when feeding three very active, growing little piglets...ummm...kittens. We did give them the dog variety as it was less expensive and supplemented with taurine. We have transitioned them to a different raw diet and use NV as "treats" with their freezedried and fresh baked chicken.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbCatt View Post
Isn't the AAFCO overrated a bit? You can make better food, I'm sure of it! (Better than many of those commercial foods out there, yes!) Here's an intersting article, and an informative website in general:

Learn the Truth about Pet Food Ingredients | Truth about Pet Food
I would love to make my own raw food, my BF hates the idea, he is a Vet Tech though and wants to see the science behind everything.

@TabbCatt, Olivia is highly food motivated and will eat pretty much anything, I have yet to find a food she wouldn't eat. Problem is she wants to eat human food most of all and will steal food right off your plate.

@mochas mommy, Yeah expense is an issue but the food we are buying right now for Olivia is about $40 for a 7lb bag. I so just want to be able to buy some meat from the grocery story and give it to her. I really want to try the Frankenprey diet.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Premier Cat

If it is any consolation, my DH was VERY reluctant about raw feeding and feeding them anything but store bought cat food. He is slowly coming around to the raw diet; it is their morning meal with me and he has noticed the change in them...health wise and their coats. I have even caught him researching raw diets and good quality grinders...now he talks about raising chickens on our farm next year so HIS cats can have organic chicken. Last night, he cooked a whole chicken for them and got up early today to take the meat off the bones and chunk it up nicely (apparently I am not to be trusted *shrug*). So there is hope!

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:12 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaAdorableOne View Post
I would love to make my own raw food, my BF hates the idea, he is a Vet Tech though and wants to see the science behind everything.
It sure must be trying to have someone in the animal care profession that is not willing to look at things with an open mind. I'm guessing you've shown him that most vets don't get much nutrition education, and much of their knowledge they do get is sponsored by large pet food companies/corporations? Yeah, I'd have a difficult time with that were I in your shoes, too. But I'd be sneaky and feed my cat what I think is biologically appropriate anyway, since it's my cat afterall. If there's any fantastic changes, you could take the credit for it. But I certainly wouldn't want to influence you negatively and cause some heated discussions and stress about it. Hope he becomes more open to it is all. Like MM's experience, hopefully someone or something will flip his switch. Don't give up!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

It's really odd how different his views are vs mine on the subject. We are both in the vet industry, just I am a student still, and I am planning to become a full Vet and he wants to move on and become a human MD.

I can't exactly be sneaky as the cats are cats we got together and we do all the shopping together. Though after we move and I get a new job I may see if he is okay with me trying raw for one meal out of the day, especially if I am paying for it.

I have been researching like mad on scholar.google.com for articles about raw diets and he isn't as adamant as he was.

Last edited by marie73; 11-11-2014 at 11:24 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Has your BF actually read the protocol for the AAFCO feeding trials? If he hasn't, he should...a scientific mind will immediately conclude that any data gained from these trials is useless at predicting the long term effects of a food.

Here's an interesting article that pretty well sums up the problems with AAFCO. Yes, I realize it's written by the owner of a pet food company. But The Honest Kitchen is one of 2 pet food companies that are human grade certified and are one of the most transparent pet food companies around. At the very least it can be a starting point for some additional research.

AAFCO and Pet Food Regulations | The Honest Kitchen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Premier Cat

WOW! That really is informative!
Thanks Doodlebug!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page