Changing diet to raw meat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Changing diet to raw meat?

I've been thinking recently about if it would be a good idea to change my cats diet a bit, I don't trust that cat food has enough nutritions from what I've read about it, on the packaging it also says "processed meat" which is, if I have got it right, left overs from animals whose meat are being sold to humans(?) and those left overs doesn't contain enough proteins etc for a cat(or a dog)
My cat have been eating simple cat food from the store for 3 years which is his whole life, is it a good idea to try to give him raw meat? Or any other diet that might be a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:14 AM
Premier Cat

A raw diet is great for obligate carnivores like our felines because they definitely do not eat processed foods of any kind in the wild (unless a human comes and offers kibbles or canned food)! There are also many positives to cats (and dogs) that eat raw, one of them being that you have more control over what goes into the food they eat and it's more biologically appropriate, so their bodies will definitely look better, too.

However, before plunging into the world of raw, you should be prepared to do a LOT of reading and research before you decide this is really what you want to do. I don't know what you mean by "simple cat food", but if it's your typical kibble or canned food from a regular supermarket, it may be bit challenging to do the switch because manufacturers add flavor enhancers to those foods so the kitty can become addicted to it. Not only that, but if that is all this kitty has eaten, other foods will be foreign to him, so it could be that he will not take to it very quickly. Younger cats do better with change than an older cat, so your kitty being 3 years, I'm assuming, there may be some resistance but if you're persistent and willing to go all the way, there is hope for a good transition.

Some readings you may want to do first:
How to Transition Your Cat to a Raw Diet - Feline Nutrition
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for the links, I will look more into this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Cat

Thumbs up

Hello, thank you for posting the links , reading them was eye opening.
I wasn't aware of my misconceptions about feeding. First of all, my idea was to feed half of the calories from dry food (RK) and the rest from raw beef and some poultry liver.

The most important issue is that raw beef is missing taurine and calcium which should be added to the meal. Also grinding the bones as a source of calcium is new idea, but it seems important for a healthy diet.

First of all I think I will withdrawal dry food and replace it with canned since it contains more moisture and is said to be generally healthier. Then I will try to prepare home made poultry meal in accordance with the guides from catinfo.org.

I don't think I will be able to feed my cats purely with the homemade food, since we are both working and canned food is much faster to give away than homemade, which needs to be heated first. There is no time for that in the morning.

What is your opinion? Is canned /homemade meals mix a good idea?

Best Regards
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Senior Cat

Canned/homemade mix is definitely a good idea. Phasing out the dry food is so important for cats since they don't have a huge thirst drive and get most of their moisture from their food, that alone will improve your cats health, and help prevent against urinary issues later down the road!

The biggest issue is feeding dry and raw, as it's something you have to be careful about. If you feed dry food too soon before you feed raw (it's somewheres around 12h before, however long it takes to get through the digestive tract) then the raw, which is supposed to go through quickly which is what prevents bacterial build ups, is held back by the dry which doesn't go through the body as quickly. Canned and raw does not have that issue!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiepoo View Post

The biggest issue is feeding dry and raw, as it's something you have to be careful about.
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware of the risk when mixing dry and raw. My cat Albert had some intestinal problems earlierthis year. My vet claimed it might be autoimmunological in nature, but perhaps it was a problem with feeding them with the dry followed by raw bee.
Now I'm still feeding the cats with RK veterinary dry food and raw beef in the evening, but I will replace dry with decent canned as soon as possible.
Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page