Has anyone recently bought a meat grinder? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Has anyone recently bought a meat grinder?

Hi there,

I’ve searched the forum, but couldn’t find any recent post in the topic of meat grinders.

We are going to buy a new meat grinder for the house, but since we are also considering raw feeding our cats the choice is a little more complicated. We will need to buy grinder capable of grinding chicken or turkey bones, and the description of commercially available products doesn’t include such an information.

I live in Europe, so the brands are probably different than in US and Canada, but I would really appreciate if you shared your experience with recently bought grinders, so I could compare the specs with the grinders available in my country.

Thanks

Last edited by Albert_The_Cat; 12-07-2014 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
I bought one similar to this one. I LOVE it!
Thanks! This one looks quite powerful - I was able to find 1900W at most locally.

How is your grinder doing with bones? - This is my major concern when considering grinders.

Last edited by Albert_The_Cat; 12-07-2014 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Premier Cat

It was wonderful with chicken and turkey bones as long as I chopped them into chunks with a meat cleaver first. I avoided turkey thigh bones altogether, though. It is super fast but very noisy. Obviously.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Great, thanks a lot for your review
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Premier Cat

I skip the meat girder and let them eat the healthy raw bones. My kids teeth are all in wonderful shape from their raw bones (never ever cooked bones of course) and the joy of watching them crunch through like real little panthers s (and a tiger) is incredible.

They love their bones!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Premier Cat

I think turkey bones are too big for cats to consume, but chicken is fine, particularly the wings or necks for their dental health, if your kitties take to it. You may want to google "prey model raw" or "frankenprey" to get more info if you're interested, too.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbCatt View Post
You may want to google "prey model raw" or "frankenprey" to get more info if you're interested, too.
Thanks, I will take a look. I don't think we are ready for whole bones though. My cats are used to canned food and raw beef chunks, but we have never fed them with anything out of the ordinary.

Still, my concern is that they will not enjoy chicken/turkey mixed with bones, since it would be completely new to them.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Senior Cat

Doesn't hurt to try! If you can get them acclimatized to a whole prey model then you can skip looking for a grinder strong enough to grind bones! Will probably make it a little cheaper too, and save you some time on food preparation as you won't need to do all the grinding and mixing.

And you'd be surprised how readily cats take to bones with meat on them, it's pretty natural for them to crunch away!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakiepoo View Post

And you'd be surprised how readily cats take to bones with meat on them, it's pretty natural for them to crunch away!
I think it might be too extreme for the time being. I'm already afraid that moving from dry/canned to ground meat&bones might cause some distress.

I was going to buy a grinder anyway for my own purposes, so I'm willing to take the extra costs and I don;'t mind preparing the meals

Regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page