Trying to find the formula of bone v meat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Trying to find the formula of bone v meat

So I have been making my own cat food for about 6 months now and my cat is still alive and healthy so I mustn't be doing too much wrong but I am still not really convinced I have the bone to meat ratio correct.

I follow Dr Piersons cat food recipe however I have to use turkey instead of rabbit as I can't get any in town and she doesn't really have a weight description of how to figure out how much bone to keep.

So far for the chicken I have been removing 25% of the bone of a maryland and grinding the rest up in with the meat.

I can't do the same for the turkey bones however as a) there is more meat on the shanks vs the chicken and b) my grinder sounds like it is trying to summon Cthulhu if I put a turkey bone through it.

The best measurement I came up with was to get four chicken marylands and debone them all and remove 25% (as Dr Pierson suggests) and then measure the bone v meat ratio. It equaled out to be bone being roughly 1/4 of the weight of the meat so so far I have just been measuring the turkey meat and then adding a 1/4 of its weight in bone.

I just don't feel like it is enough though.

So if anyone has a bit better of a formula for working out the meat vs bone ratio I would REALLY appreciate it.

Loki: Blue point Devon Rex
Freyja: My flame and blue Devon Rex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page