New to raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Send a message via Yahoo to crystalnicole
New to raw

Hi Cat People!

I was recently introduced to raw food by my local pet supply store (Mud Bay) that supplies healthy food for cats & dogs, which I love, as I would not be caught dead feeding my little one Friskies-type, cheap, preservative-loaded crap food (hope I don't offend anyone!). My Lulu is 6 months, and I only feed her natural, grain-free wet food (she won't drink water on her own, except for here and there, so this is how I keep her hydrated for now- with my vet's approval).

I have also done my own research recently on the benefits of going raw for cats, and like what I'm finding so far, especially in regards to improved digestion, overall energy, oral health, and a smoother coat with less shedding. I have been feeding Lulu about 50% raw for the past week and a half, and am considering moving to 80-ish% if all goes well. What benefits have you noted? Will I still see results even at 50% or 75% raw? FYI, the brand I am using is 'Rad Cat' (Rad Cat Raw Diet Premium Raw Food For Cats). She already gets pro-biotics once a day, is there any other supplements that I should be adding to the raw food?

ANY and ALL opinions/insights/etc. is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!!

Crystal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 01-23-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: font/color
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 12:30 PM
Cat

I'm new to raw too! I started transitioning my three cats to raw in November. I have one cat on 100% raw, one cat on 50% raw, and my youngest cat on about 25% (she's being difficult about it...). So far, both of my older cats have had a huge difference in the way their fur feels- super soft and silky! Their eyes are a bit clearer, and they have become much more energetic and playful. Also, my boy's poo, which was always extremely smelly, is much smaller and has very little smell! This was an awesome effect that I didn't expect. I'm hoping his breath will improve too (I don't understand how a cat that doesn't eat fish has a mouth that smells like a tuna processing facility).

I saw these results at 50%. However, I started them both with raw rabbit, which I've read has extra oils and vitamins that improve skin and fur, which might be why I saw such dramatic effects.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 01:04 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Crystal and fellow Washingtonion ,

I also currently feed my cats raw and canned (approx 2/3 raw and 1/3 canned) in every meal for almost a year now, both kitties are now about a year and a half. Since I started them both off on raw while they were kittens, I haven't noticed much difference, other the quite obvious--diminished litter box odors! The more raw you feed, the less bulky their stools are, too.

My cat's shedding seems minimal, but then again, I've nothing to compare them to...I've had them since young kittens, and kittens rarely shed much to begin with, and I've never had cats prior to them. G had a few incidents of hairballs, but that was during late summer here, when our temps typically gets hot anyway.

I don't know why, but Maya seemed to be getting dandruff-like flakes near her tail base, so I just need to up her Omega 3s without using fishy cat food. I just got my bottle of "Royal Coat Express Omega Mender!" so hopefully things will look better for her. It's supposedly tasteless and odorless, unlike your typical fish oils, and also more concentrated. She just naturally has a coarser coat than G, so hopefully it'll be enough. Heck, I guess I can even offer it to G, if the finicky guy will eat it, lol.

As for supplements, I think Rad Cat is terrific cat food, it contains organs, muscle meats, vitamins, minerals, omega-3s (wild salmon oil), etc, so I don't think it needs anything else.

The only thing I think your kitty can benefit from is the occasional raw meaty bones in her diet for her dental health. Real bones are much more nutritious than eggshells or bone meal, or other calcium supplements (Rad Cat uses powdered eggshells). If you're interested, you can try offering your girl a chicken wing tip and gradually work your way up to chicken necks one meal/week. The thing to watch for, however, is that high bone content can have a constipating effect, so giving it with a bit of organ meats (liver, kidney, etc) can help prevent that. Otherwise, I think you're good.

Hope you get more responses...I still consider myself new to raw, even though I've been doing this for almost a year. Btw, there ARE several members who feed raw, but it seems most here on this forum go frankenprey or a homemade raw recipe. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page