Beginner asking for assistance! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Beginner asking for assistance!

Hello everyone,

I’m making this topic to request some information. I have fed previous pets of the past a raw food diet consisting of Franken-prey or mice/rats/chicks from local farms, breeders, et cetera. It has been quite a number of years since I have done this and I regrettably do not remember a lot.

I will be adopting a kitten anywhere between the ages of eight to twelve weeks old so I would like to give the kitten a head start in proper nutrition. I will be purchasing a meat and bone grinder to do any necessary grinding and mixing. I also buy in bulk from Costco and have access to wild game through local farmers and butchers, so I know the food I will be giving my cat is of top quality and as clear from harmful bacteria as possible.

May I ask how to begin? What the ratio should it be to feed a growing kitten?

Just throw everything and anything at me, haha. I want to learn as much as possible!

And for emergencies, I have several cases of Orijen, Nature’s Variety and Blue Wilderness (canned and kibble) packed away. It’s beneficial to be a Prime member from Amazon.

Thank you for any help!

Last edited by marie73; 01-30-2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: font
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 05:04 PM
Premier Cat

There's a wealth of information in this website. It's a lot of reading, but it cover a lot of topics, and if you scroll down near the end of it, Dr. Pierson does cover Homemade Diets and Commercial Raw Meat Products. I think you will have a very healthy kitten as you show that you want to feed your new kitty properly the best diet possible.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by catloverami View Post
There's a wealth of information in this website. It's a lot of reading, but it cover a lot of topics, and if you scroll down near the end of it, Dr. Pierson does cover Homemade Diets and Commercial Raw Meat Products. I think you will have a very healthy kitten as you show that you want to feed your new kitty properly the best diet possible.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health
Thank you very much! I enjoy a lot of reading, honestly. I greatly appreciate the link.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:23 AM
Cat Addict

My first suggestion would be to skip the grinder. Cats are fully capable of crubching the bone they need and chunks are better for their teeth too. Since you're starting with a kitten you shouldn't have any trouble with the transition or with getting it to eat bone.

There's lots of info here, so poke around and see what you can find
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 06:38 AM
Premier Cat

Making Cat Food by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: homemade cat food, cat food recipes

Here is the recipe for the ground cat food - will save you some digging through the catinfo.org website. If you do get a teeny kitten I would recommend the ground - it's less messy than a cat dragging a chicken wing over the floor chewing on it. That's just my opinion.

I bought a heavy duty meat grinder and I love it!!

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 01:53 AM
Premier Cat

Brit,

If you haven't already, and are still interested in feeding your kitty a frankenprey diet, I'd say stick to that instead of ground raw. It's healthier for your kitty and cheaper for you, imho.

Google "prey model raw (pmr)" to find another site that promotes a frankenprey diet. There's tons of info there, but Dr. Pierson's website also has other information besides cat food, too.

I used to have to worry about my kitties dragging their raw chunks around my apartment, but having a wide, flat dish (either stainless steel, ceramic, or glass plates) seemed to help and it also prevents excessive bacterial growth, and it's easy to wash/place in dishwashers. They've also somewhat learned where their "eating spots" are, so they haven't carried it off unless they feel threatened by another cat snatching it away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page