Supplements in commercial raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Supplements in commercial raw

So, I'm confused. I'm transitioning Leelu back to raw. I bought a few different ones to see what she'll a) eat and b) stays down. Her favourite by far is the 3P Rabbit. So I checked the website and they list the supplements and ingredients and it says 'heart where available' and of course for rabbit there's none. So I emailed them to ask if they add taurine and they said they don't but recommend to feed a variety of proteins, as in some where they do add the heart like venison and elk, but that lean muscle meat contains enough taurine.

Is that the case? I remember from Dr Pierson's website that beef heart for example doesn't have a lot of taurine, so I assume venison and elk would be somewhat similar. She supplements the whole rabbit recipe she makes as well and so I assume there isn't enough.

So long story short, should I just supplement it myself or can I assume that there's some sort of guideline they follow for raw? What does everyone else do? What about other vitamins?

I also bought some Carnivora. Their website is all about natural whole carcass non supplemented raw as the best thing to feed. But again Dr Pierson buys whole carcass rabbit and still supplements. It just kind of makes me nervous, I figured I didn't have to worry about it if I buy commercial, but there doesn't seem to be any consistency. Any Lower Mainland people feeding commercial raw and can recommend a brand?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 11:25 PM
Premier Cat

My cats like the size, taste, and texture of Nature's Variety raw. We also have gotten them to eat some Stella and Chewy's raw....but they don't go wild over it.

Are you rotating the rabbit with other proteins?

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mochas Mommy View Post
My cats like the size, taste, and texture of Nature's Variety raw. We also have gotten them to eat some Stella and Chewy's raw....but they don't go wild over it.

Are you rotating the rabbit with other proteins?

I haven't tried Nature's Variety yet, but I think it has vegetables in it? Trying to really limit the ingredients for Leelu. She didn't care for the Stella and Chewy's either.

I'm planning to eventually rotate 2-3 rarer proteins, but with IBD and allergies I have to add them slowly. So right now it's just the rabbit and a bit of her old diet, but I've almost phased it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:21 AM
Premier Cat

You are right...both have some veggies in them but are grain free. I took out a sample of RAD Cats to try with them to orrow. I will let you know how that one goes!

Spark
, and Star
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:31 AM
Premier Cat

When you all are feeding commercial 'raw', how much is a serving, per cat, per day?
I'm even starting to toy with the idea of feeding some raw....
I've still got three cats, I'm trying to convince to eat canned!:rolleyes:

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Leelu loved the rad cat lamb, but she can't keep it down. I think it may be the higher fat content.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

I'm still figuring out how much to feed myself! Weigh in tomorrow. Lol

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 01:23 AM
Premier Cat

Right now, I have kittens so they get as much as they want. They have kept pretty even at 100g weight gain per week (1/4 pound)....up to 8 months old. Komet gains more...he is a little oink. The girls are 9 and 10 months and aren't gaining much at all now. Doesn't help that Luna is cycling regularly so she eats a lot less those weeks.

When we teansition, we start with a cooked chicken thigh (no bones) as a treat....then small pieces of raw chicken...again as a treat. They all love these "treats" and getting them off kibble was relatively easy. The general recommendation for raw is about 2-4% of your cat's ideal weight per day for adults.

The upside is their fur is a LOT silkier....their poop doesn't drive you to the gas mask section and there is a lot less. I notice a big difference when I get a new kitten in and transition it to raw....activity levels, overall appearance, fur, litter box. Can't wait until we move onto our farm and raise their food ourselves!

Spark
, and Star
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 01:26 AM
Premier Cat

There is a raw food calculator at http://www.primalpetfoods.com/education/calc

Spark
, and Star
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 05:13 AM
Premier Cat

Hi zuma,
You don't have to feed hearts for its taurine content. Taurine is found most abundant in all muscle meats--the more active its muscle, the more taurine it contains. This is why hearts are usually included to feed cats, but you can also supplement with more rabbit meat, such as the leg, for example. Just note that rabbit A's natural taurine content will probably differ from rabbit B's. I think this is why Dr. Pierson recommends buying the powdered taurine supplement. In addition, grinding bone & meats and refreezing can slightly degrade their nutrient content. It's good to have on had, just in case, too. That way, there's no mistake Leelu is getting an adequate amount. Btw, because taurine is water soluble and is flushed out via kidneys, there's no real harm of overdosing. Have you tried your local markets/butcher? It may be another source of rabbit meat for you. Not sure if BC area carries Smallbatch, but they also make ground rabbit mix in 2 lb chubs (dog section). There weren't veggies/fruits/grains in it.

If you ever come down to WA state (in the Seattle area), there are pet stores that also carry our local brand, Natural Pet Pantry. It contains meat protein with supplements already added in, no veggies/fruits/grains, and also includes rabbit. My two cats love their rabbit, but it's one of the most expensive meats (along with venison)

Hope you find a good supplier; rabbit meats are just harder to come by. It seems that farmers who supply them have their ups and downs in rabbit populations throughout the year, believe it or not, lol.

10cats--as MM stated, the amount of raw you feed your cat will depend on your kitty's weight. My two are almost or about 10 lbs, I feed them about 2.5~2.75 oz/meal/day, sometimes as high as 3 oz. I guess it's close to their wet food portions. The only thing with feeding raw is, most people find it easier to transition them after feeding them canned. Can't say your cats won't eat raw straight from kibble, but it definitely helps if they already eat canned. Maybe you could try offering a small piece of raw chicken to see their reaction? Initially, I had to top my raw off with some freeze dried meats to get them to try and eat it. Some cats may also be picky about their texture, too (canned & raw). Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page