Why does Kitty vomit the dry stuff? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Why does Kitty vomit the dry stuff?

A bit of history first.
I have 4 cats. They were originally all on a 100% dry kibble diet. And they were happy. For various reasons such as chronic diarrhea in my oldest cat, now age 12, I transitioned to raw.
We've been doing raw for almost 1 year using the recipe on Catinfo.org.

They hate it. Plain and simple, they hate it. I usually mix in some Friskies canned as a flavor enhancer because they've actually refused to eat for a couple of days when I don't. I'd love to stop using the Friskies but they are all so thin I'm afraid of them losing more weight (one cat is about 5 lbs, the other 3 weigh about 10 lbs each).

They beg me for kibble or freeze dried chicken or salmon treats as if they are desperate. I do give them a few treats (not every day) if they've eaten the raw first.

But Kitty (age 12) has started to vomit up whatever dry treats I give her. Nothing dry stays down. She adores the treats and kibble and it's really hard to give it to the other 3 without her getting into it. She can hear that bag even if she's outside the house! She'll shove everyone out the way and steal it from them. I've tried putting the treats in water but that gets barfed up too.

So this brings up a few questions. Is there any way i can convince them that the raw food tastes good? They eat it because they'll starve if they don't. But they really don't like it. I've tried sprinkling crushed temptations treats on top or crushed Stella and Chewys. It doesn't help. I do not understand why they hate raw chicken but adore the freeze dried chicken!

Is there any way I can give Kitty dry treats without her vomiting?

Does anyone have good tricks to get the treats to the other 3 without Kitty getting them? My little one (Cleo) is so intimidated by Kitty that she'll drop her treat and run away when Kitty comes near her.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 PM
Cat

Are you feeding raw because of health issues for the cats? I have heard of people feeding raw chicken to dogs but not cats. Anyway there are mix conflicts with feeding raw and not. It seems your cat are losing weight alot which is not healthy because they are starving themselves. You can try grain free kibble such as taste of the wild venison or blue wilderness chicken. You can soak the kibble so it would be easy for the 12 yrs old cat to digest.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 12:36 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by debs-cats View Post
They hate it. Plain and simple, they hate it. I usually mix in some Friskies canned as a flavor enhancer because they've actually refused to eat for a couple of days when I don't. I'd love to stop using the Friskies but they are all so thin I'm afraid of them losing more weight (one cat is about 5 lbs, the other 3 weigh about 10 lbs each).
debs-cats,

I'm worried about the underlined statements you've made. Have they recently been to the vet's office for bloodwork? They may be in danger of hepatic lipodosis if they've lost too much weight much too quickly and aren't eating at times. I hope I'm wrong, but that kitty that weighs 5 lbs especially concerns me most. Do you know what each one weighed in before this whole thing started? Please see the entire video (link below) on HL if you're not sure what I'm talking about:

Feline Hepatic Lipidosis: Avoid This Deadly Cat Disease

Maybe I'm overreacting, and that's not what's happening here, but I just want to make sure your kitties are first and foremost, all healthy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Cool Cat

hi debs-cats,

i agree if they are really hating the raw, then it might be time to just try something else again - like some good wet food. it would probably improve their quality of life. plenty of cats still live very happy, healthy, long lives without eating raw so there's nothing necessarily wrong about wet.

as for throwing up the dry treats, i have a 13 1/2 year old kitty whose kidneys are not so good anymore and the vet says she has stomach ulcers perhaps as a result of that. those ulcers give her an upset stomach a lot that i control as much as possible with pepcid. (definitely talk to your vet before giving pepcid, tho, of course.) i think the dry treats might just be much harder to digest than wet or raw and are harder on her stomach so she does throw these up on occasion. normally it's when she has an empty stomach first thing in the morning, tho, and has not had her morning does of pepcid yet or other food to coat her stomach. she just occasionally finds a leftover dry treat that i've hidden around the apartment on those mornings and she's just so hungry that she will eat anything.

good luck with everything!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for all the thoughts. They are greatly appreciated. I don't think the cats are dangerously thin - they didn't lose substantial amounts of weight. The 5 pounder was always thin. She was the runt of her litter and has never weighed very much. We blame it on being hyperactive. Unlike the others who sleep most of the day, this one spends her day getting into trouble
The others may have lost about 1 lb each over the last year but that's about all.

It IS time to take them to the vet. So I'll check on their weight and health. My vet isn't a believer in raw or wet food so I don't bother asking about that.

We switched to raw for several reasons. Three years of chronic diarrhea in my oldest cat (which required both raw food, limited ingredient diet and steroids to finally conquer), overgrooming issues with the same cat, ideopathic cystitis (urinating in inappropriate places with blood in the urine) in another cat (vet ran all kinds of tests and had no clue why).

Since we switched to raw we've had no medical problems, cats are very active, shedding is significantly reduced and the cat poop doesn't smell nearly as bad as it used to. So overall, it's working.

They hate the taste but they usually do eat it eventually. I've looked for other animal protein to use but all of it is prohibitively expensive for feeding 4 cats.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Cool Cat

well, that's really good to hear that it hasn't been as bad as them having dramatic weight losses. and great that you finally did figure out how to beat the diarrhea! i think that's EXTREMELY important, of course.

not being as excited by their food isn't so bad. there are a lot worse things! there are plenty of humans who don't get excited by food either. the old "eat to live and not live to eat" thing. that's probably better in the long run, anyway.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 02:23 PM
Cat Addict

I am no expert on feeding and don't feed raw but I am sure I read that it was not advisable to feed raw and dry due to the rate of digestion and that it could make the cat sick which may be a reason.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Cat

I say that if they won't eat it, what's the point? I know a raw diet is the best thing for our cats (and dogs). Our dog is on a raw diet. Our cat on the other hand, no way. He will not eat it. We've got him on Wellness canned food and he loves it. I also mix in a bit of Acana dry and he goes crazy for that!

Susy
Mom to Dusty
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2015, 02:33 AM
Premier Cat

Hmmm, well I am glad they aren't in danger of HL!

I feed a mix of raw and canned, but I think they might be just tired of eating mainly chicken for the entire year, if that's what you normally feed at every meal. The friskies must add to their variety, I'm guessing. I realize in Lisa Pierson's website, she mentions feeding rabbit, which is one of the most expensive proteins around, but you can try turkey, duck, beef, or cornish hens, etc from a butcher, too. Just do not buy anything pre-ground. Since they already eat raw, maybe you can try giving them small chunks of other protein for variety? Try googling "prey model raw", and see if that might get your kitties intrested in raw food again.

I go to my local independent store and seek out the dog section, they usually sell 2 lb chubs of various proteins. I've found that some brands are ok for felines, you just need to add some supplements to those to make it fit for a feline's diet. The clerks there are usually pretty knowledgeable about that, or they can call the manufacturer and find out for you. Buying raw for mutliple cats is definitely expensive, so I understand cost being an issue. If you have a large freezer, though, you could buy items (online sources) in larger stock and save money on shipping and items you purchase, too. I don't have a large freezer, thus I buy mainly from the local stores here.

I did think the whole kibble and raw mixing was dangerous before, but now, I'm really not so sure. (Though I still don't feed my cats dry at all.) If the treats are making one of your kitties ill, I'd start keeping a log of what you give and when she starts vomiting. It can help provide clues to what she's possibly intolerant to, and stick to treats with a single protein instead that you know is safe. Temptation treats...I think I'd avoid those, especially those with fish ingredients. It contains BHA/BHT, which are known carcinogens. It also contains corn and a bunch of grains that your cat may be sensitive or allergic to. There are better healthier treats you could use, IMO.

Last edited by TabbCatt; 02-21-2015 at 02:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page