Help with kitten on raw - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Help with kitten on raw

So I just got a new kitten a little over three weeks ago. He was on a high quality dry kibble and I immediately switched him over to raw food with no problems. It was a mixture of whole ground chicken with bones and organs, chicken chunks, chicken hearts, and a little bit of ground sardines. He took to it with no hesitation. He was 12 weeks old and slightly different underweight. He was constantly hungry and was going through about 10oz a day. Fast forward two weeks and he throws up bile one day and his dinner the next night. He starts to sleep all day, barely plays, barely eats, and doesn't purr or follow me around like usual. He slowly started to get better and but still not eating even 3oz a day. Finally, I give him his old food again last night (3 days after the vomiting). He eats maybe a teaspoon of it for dinner. This morning, he ate a little bit of the raw (a teaspoon) and doesn't eat all day but is very active, pretty much normal. Tonight he finally ate a normal amount and I was very relived. About 3 hours later he threw it up.

My question is, do you all think it's a bug? Or did I switch too fast? Is he not eating because he's related the raw food to vomiting now? I tried to feed the same food with the fish tonight so I know that's not what caused it. I also tried turkey and he refused it.

Debating on whether or not I should take him to the vet tmw. He was tested negative for worms and had all his vaccinations.
Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 05:35 AM
Premier Cat

PrinceandBlue,

Anytime a kitten/cat starts to "sleep all day, barely plays, barely eats", or does not act his/her usual self, it's a big warning signal to see a vet right away.

Have your kitties been to a vet recently and have you explained to them about his eating/vomiting habits when you went in for his vaccinations? There could be other unrelated issues, but a vet check is really what I would've done first.

Another thing about feeding...I couldn't tell from your post, but I used to feed my kittens about 1-2 oz during each feeding, but fed them up to 4-5x a day! Kittens eat small but frequent meals. Maybe you were feeding him too much, and he gobbled up too quickly? That can cause some vomiting issues sometimes. Bile usually means he went too long without food, so again, it may have to do with how frequently he's fed or not.

To be honest, I didn't start my two on raw at 3 months of age. Young kittens have an under-developed immune system, so for their sake and to be on the safe side, I didn't give them raw meals until they were at least 6 months old. I also fed my cats a lot of canned food before transitioning to raw and completely eliminated kibble when I did. There's this whole controversy about feeding cats dry and raw at the same time, so I just stuck with canned/raw. I think it's good to have some cannned food on hand, because kittens and cats can have "off days" in my experience, and feeding them their favorite good quality canned food temporarily is certainly better than not having anything else for them to eat. That way, they'll also develop less negative associations with raw food if they continue to feel sick, too.

Hope others can help add to your thread. I just want your kitty to get better! Sending well wishes to you both.

Last edited by TabbCatt; 02-23-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page