Feeding raw chicken heart and liver - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Feeding raw chicken heart and liver

It's been awhile since I've posted. I have two young cats, Bailey and Oliver. Originally I had problems with the poops especially with the youngest one but all is well now. Seems like the youngest has problems with eating chicken, homemade boiled chicken, no additives as well as any kibble with chicken in it. His stools were always loose. I switched to Instinct Raw Rabbit Bites with some Instinct Rabbit Kibble and voila, perfect poop.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether giving Oliver (the problem child with the chicken problem) raw chicken heart and liver will give him the same reaction as when I fed him any other chicken meat. I read somewhere that the heart and liver is different from the actual meat of the chicken and that cats that have problems with eating chicken may not react the same to the organs. Is that true? Does anyone have experience with the same problem as I have?

I would start with tiny amounts for sure and if it seems his digestive system can take it, how much raw liver and heart can I give him along with his rabbit and kibble per day? A whole heart ok? Whole liver ok? Both heart and liver per day? Eventually, I'm trying to wean them both to diversity in foods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:54 AM
Kitten

If the worst reaction he has is some runny stool, then I would absolutely try it. I have a similar issue with one of my dogs and turkey, but he doesn't seem to be bothered as much by turkey giblets/livers/etc. I still feed rarely and in small amounts (usually when it's on sale, lol), but it is nice to add some variety.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 03:13 PM
Cat

You definitely want to take it easy on the liver, a whole chicken liver a day is way too much and would undoubtedly give him diarrhea as it has a stool loosening effect. Too much liver could also lead to excessive vitamin A. Not to put you off liver, it's an important addition but it should only be about 5% of the diet. Heart can also loosen stool, though not to the extent that liver will. You can probably try adding a heart a day and a small piece of liver a couple times a week. Just keep an eye on your kitties bowel tolerance. If he can't handle it maybe back off to every other day or raise his bone intake accordingly. Heart is full of taurine so it is a very good addition to the diet.

Are you sure your kitty is intolerant of chicken though? Have you only offered cooked? If so you might try a tiny piece of raw chicken thigh and see how he does. Sometimes an animal who appears to be intolerant of a cooked protein can handle it raw. If he really can't handle any chicken then turkey might be a good alternative. My kitties get turkey hearts a few times a week and they really love them. Good luck!

Owned by two kitties

Black Beauty-Agnes-08/27/2014
Blue Lynx Point-Dexter-09/15/2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thank you both for your reply. Well I tried giving the problem child a small amount of raw chicken liver. The first day I gave him a small piece, about the size of a fingernail and watched his stools and it was fine. Next day I gave him the same amount but gave it to him twice that day. Watched his stools and they were fine. The third day I did the same thing but gave him a little bigger piece about the size of a nickle and his stools started to become soft. I cut back the 4th day to a size of a pea and his stool was soft with blood in it. I stopped giving him raw liver all together and his stools are fine now. This is driving me nuts.

I can understand the loose stools but the blood is what's baffling me. Why would such a small amount irritate his intestines to cause blood in it? It's a shame too because he loved the liver.

My next step is to try turkey and see if he has a reaction to that. I've heard where some cats have problems with all fowl. Once I can find a different food that he can tolerate, I'd like to purchase raw from Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow in bulk and add Alnutrin to it.

I'm getting so frustrated.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Cat

can I ask where you get your hearts from? I have been looking all over the raleigh, nc area with no luck. Even when I buy a whole chicken from the store, they leave all the giblets...except the heart. Makes me so angry! I just want to see if they like it or not. They love liver of course, and little of the gizzard. They haven't figured out the necks yet, but they are trying. I really need to get them on some bones for their teeth, but so far(at least 6-8 months)...no luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Cat Addict

Getting hearts is no problem here. I have one who cannot cope with processed fish as all but can cope with raw or home cooked. I know it isn't the same but the principle is. I have had several who can cope with certain types of food and not others. Even in human terms, I have a severe allergic reaction to lamb or mutton but although I HATE it it, I can eat lab's liver without the same effect.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 03:11 AM
Premier Cat

radtech--
perhaps your local grocery store only sells chicken hearts and livers on certain days? One of mine seem to only stock it a few days out of the week in small little plastic tubs, right along side the chicken thighs, etc. You could also ask the meat cutters there, they'd be the ones to tell you where they keep it in stock if it's not together with the other meats.

Other sources would be your local butcher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page