Liver Shake - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Liver Shake

I think this recipe should become a sticky as it is a great food for sick cats. I was shocked but Geets loves it. Only thing he will eat right now. It is also a complete food and comes from a vet.

1 cup raw chicken or beef liver
1 cup fresh carrot juice
1/4 cup distilled water
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon kelp powder

Combine all in a blender. It will be frothy. Feed 10 cc 3 to 6 times a day. 60 cc max. 1 cc equal 1 ml. 2 teaspoons equals 10 cc. If cat gets diarrhea substitute rice water. Boil 2 tablespoons of white rice with 1 cup distilled water for 30 minutes. I heat it for 20 seconds at 70% power. Don't over cook. You could also fill syringes and place in very warm water to warm. Can get kelp at health food stores or Amazon.

I have a juicer so i juice about 3 lbs of carrots to get 2 cups. Wal Mart has carrot juice for about $6. It's in the refrigerated section.

Kathy

Razzle and Geets-they left paw prints on my heart. Love you, love you always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 02:57 AM
Premier Cat

Um, ok. Glad Geets like this shake, but I personally have some doubts about this. Why so much vitamin A? Even if this "sick cat" has anemia or leukemia, I still am not sure about serving this particular diet (mainly liver and carrots).

Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin, so it's not easily expelled from the body. This can also cause vitamin A toxicity, which can lead to a whole host of other problems.

From my knowledge, 1 cup?! of liver (or any organ meats) is too much for a cat to consume in a day. I suppose getting a sick cat to ingest something is certainly better than nothing, but I'd rather place their favorite canned food in a blender with some warm water to make a "shake" or "pureed soup" and syringe feed that. Most canned food will be nutritionally complete, and no worries about toxicities there.

Not attacking your recipe, I've even looked it up online and saw it was written by a holistic vet, but I still don't think this is a good idea, in my personal opinion.

Btw, I also tend to think juicing can cause weight gain in some people. Food without fiber is just piling on the calories...

Last edited by marie73; 06-15-2015 at 07:15 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 03:10 AM
Premier Cat

Your recipe says "1 cup raw chicken or beef liver", but the recipe calls for "1 cup RAW LIVER (BEEF, or CHICKEN)"

Last edited by marie73; 06-15-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Isn't that the same thing?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Just to clarify. You don't feed one cup of liver in one day. You are only feeding up to 60 cc a day as it says in the recipe. Not the whole thing. This recipe makes a lot so I would suggest freezing some so it doesn't go bad. By mistake it should list raw liver-chicken or beef. Plus the carrot or tomato juice is fiber. Lately I've been using tomato juice as it's easier to use. My jack lalane juicer uses the whole carrot. Juicing doesn't cause weight gain unless you eat too much of something or add other stuff and sugar or honey. People juice because it's healthy for you. I fed him two to three syringes of 10cc at a time which isn't much 2 to 3 times a day. I'll stick by it. It saved his life.

Geet's did so good on it because it gave him back some energy that now he'll eat one meal of canned food by himself but I still force feed (yes geet's thinks it's force feeding but he's better about it), one meal of the liver shake and one feeding of pureeed cat food. I think it saved his life twice. The problem with pureeing cat food you'd have to feed the whole amount in one day to get the calories. He's also sleeping in the window sill again and even played with his mouse which before he didn't have the energy to do it

Razzle and Geets-they left paw prints on my heart. Love you, love you always.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

I've never heard that juicing puts on weight for people, either, just the opposite.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:36 AM
Premier Cat

Razzle, what kind of illness does Geets have? Perhaps I'm missing something here.

Imho, 60 mL is still a lot. I feed raw, and really, in one day, a normal cat only eats a very, very, small amount. Liver should consist of 5% of their diet, actually. Anything more, and they could have vitamin toxicity as I mentioned earlier. I don't know if this is really something you can encourage others to do, for a "sick" cat? I'd say it depends on a lot of things, first and foremost.

Marie--
the whole "Juicing" topic really depends on how much you intake, actually. Juicing removes most of the pulp and fiber, so it takes a lot more fruits/veggies to make 1 cup of juice. Because of that, it's also very calorie dense and higher in sugars. Thus, juicing can also cause a spike in our blood sugar levels, and then later cause us to feel hungry after a few hours. If we ate those veg/fruits with the fiber left intact, we'd have a slower release of the sugars because our intestines have to work to digest the food due to the fiber. We'd also intake less food when we eat it whole due to the bulk of the food.

Juicing is great for those whose GI tract is somewhat compromised and cannot digest food properly. It gives the bowels a rest, while we can still intake nutritious foods via liquid. There are some other benefits with juicing, like being able to intake a wider variety of fruits/veggies in a day than you normally would, which are all beneficial. So there are some good things to juicing, but it would depend on the person. I personally would rather blend than juice, but that's my personal choice. Hope it helps explain things.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, TC. I think I'm getting "juicing" mixed up with those green shakes people make in the morning. Neither of which would appeal to me without a side of bacon.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:49 AM
Premier Cat

I'll just take the bacon!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2015, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

(the drink is for the sink)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page