First chicken wing! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

First chicken wing!

I was at the butcher today, and decided to ask for a chicken wing for Smudge, who turned 1 in March. I keep a baking tray under her food/water dishes, and just put the wing on the tray. She LOVED it right away! She grabbed it a few times and unintentionally dropped it off the tray, so I calmly moved it back while reassuring her that she was doing great. I was worried she'd run off with it if she thought I was upset! (That was my biggest worry about trying this...)

A couple of times, she took it under the stools by the kitchen island, but I quietly moved it back. The last time, I just tapped the metal baking tray, and she brought it back over herself! I was surprised!

Now... I did give her 3oz canned this morning at 7am. She just finished the wing at 11:45. I usually feed her another 3oz canned at 6:30pm. Did this wing count as a full meal? Should I feed her less for dinner? I sometimes give her 1/8 cup Nature's Instinct dry food at noon, once a week or so, because she's always begging for food when I'm eating lunch. So it's not completely unusual for her to have a midday snack. I just don't know how much "food" is in the wing.

Also... might there be digestive consequences I should look out for? Vomiting, stool issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations! I've been wanting to try this, but I'm afraid of the mess, too. Mostly because of ants. How long did it take her to finish up with the wing? How much of the wing did you give her, all three sections?

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Premier Cat

I'd get a food scale if you don't already, that way you can weigh the food and know how much you're feeding her.

I wouldn't expect too much tummy issues, if it were a small piece, though. Wings can have higher bone content, so I'd just keep an eye on her stools to make sure she's not constipated.

Marie, if you're worried about the mess, people have recommended I feed my cats in their carrier. When I first fed raw, both cats got very possesive of their food, and ran off with it, but it's calmed down a lot now, they both eat in the same area from their dish without a growl. Perhaps you'll get more tips from others, though?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, TC. My girls eat in separate places in the house, maybe I'll try a plate (the carrier would be a non-starter in my house). I think my girls will run off, too, at least at first. Charlee probably will, since when she's torn into the garbage and found chicken bones, she grabs and runs.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:34 PM
Premier Cat

If you're just feeding her the raw chicken wing tip, then I would consider it a "snack" and good to feed her at noon. It's good for cleaning a cat's teeth and keeping tartar at bay. Dry food doesn't do that and really tends to make a cat dehydrated and doesn't remove tartar. I'd stick with the canned food (no grains--of wheat, barley, rice, soy) as it's better for her than the dry food that has more carbohydrates in it which=weight gain. A fat cat is not a healthy cat and you should just be able to feel the ribs under a light layer of fat, and see a slight indented waist when you look at your cat from above while it stands.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

So is that what we're talking about, just the tip? (the part that's usually cut off?)

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:56 PM
Premier Cat

Just the tip...the 1/3 of the wing that us humans deem too much work to eat.
My Puddies like sinks and tubs....so I can put their raw on their plate in the empty/dry sink and the mess is contained.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Cat Addict

My guys LOVE wings!

Samantha is pretty good about them, eating the wing where I put it down, just gnawing away. Jules will always run off growling with his, so he eats in the bathroom where he has minimal places to go, and easier clean up for me. Alice is a freaking hyena...she can, AND WILL, chomp through even the big part of the wing bone like butter...seriously, she's gotta be part hyena...I've never seen a cat go through bone like she does...

As for digestive issues, I've never had any problems. Wings are a special treat for them, as are necks, and they don't get them more than once every couple weeks. They get more salmon skin honestly.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I got it from the butcher, and it was a long oval shape. Definitely not the tip; no pointy wing-looking part at all. She loved it, but maybe I should see if they have tips that they usually discard?

As for the dry food, like I said, it's once a week at most, and only 1/8 cup. She pesters me so much when I try to eat my own lunch. She normally does not get a midday meal.

ETA: she was feral for the first few months of her life, and finished the wing in under 10 minutes. I'm thinking she was quite used to bones!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I just found a pic on another site and it turns out I fed her a "wingette".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page