does raw = i have to make it?? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

does raw = i have to make it??

today I decided we are stopping all the prescription foods & antibiotics and try raw since nothing so far has helped my kitty with her bathroom issues. I had decided on trying Rad Cat since its sold at a few stores close by and has really good reviews.

but...now that I'm browsing this raw diet thread it seems everyone buys directly from farmers and hunters, grinds their own stuff and/or tosses their cat a chicken wing for dinner. I wont lie...I'm lazy and don't even cook for myself...I didn't think this "raw diet for cats" thing was so complicated.

am I making the right decision trying the Rad Cat stuff or should I really be learning how to be a butcher and grind up freshly killed animals for my cat or toss her a carcass to chew on??

Last edited by marie73; 05-29-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Premier Cat

You don't have to make your own raw using a meat grinder and adding in supplements. I buy commercial raw from the pet food store, because I live in a tiny 1-bedroom apartment with a very small kitchen. I barely have any counterspace to prepare my own meals, lol. Anyway, the reason why most raw feeders choose to make their own is to save money. Buying commercial raw food like Rad Cat can get mighty expensive over time. There are other brands, too, of course. My local independent stores sells Nature's Variety Medallions in rabbit and chicken, Rad Cat, Vital Essentials, Primal, Small Batch, and others. Some stores sell other types of brands so it's not that much of a competition among the retailers.

If you're only testing the waters, as it seems, you can give her a few small chunks of raw meat first before investing, but it's not good to give say, chicken breast only for a period of two weeks, for example. Cats need to have a balanced diet, which would include muscle meats, organs, and bone. I'd visit those local independent stores and see if they offer samples, and check their return policy. Some may take back uneaten food, others do not.

Some raw feeders choose to do a prey model raw diet which means you don't need to give supplements, but do give a balanced diet over a course of the week (7 day set menu) rather than in a single balanced meal. With raw, it's always best to do some research beforehand. There will always be some people, including vets or vet techs you encounter who will make you have doubts on it otherwise...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 PM
Cat Addict

LOL got to admit that IS a good question. But no you don't have to butcher your own cat food. Commercial raw does just fine.

If she does well on the raw. You could always vary her diet by going to places like Hare Today and buying different ground meats, adding the recommended supplements and water. then freezing in meal sized portions . Easy and sometimes cheaper then medallions. Though medallions come already prepared in multiple proteins. Basically go with what is good for your lifestyle and what you feel you can fit in your budget!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Jr. Cat

If you are already shelling out that money for prescription diets and antibiotics, I suppose it shouldn't be much of a sticker shock to switch to a premade raw diet. I personally compile my own prey model diet because of the cost difference.

I too was really hesitant to spend all the time and effort necessary for cat food prep. After a while, I got into a rhythm. I buy a whole chicken cut up and the gizzards/hearts and organ meats about once a week, portion it out into a big set of glass storage bowls, and throw the whole lot in the freezer. The whole operation takes about 30 minutes. When you put it like that, it sounds like a lot, but it's just become part of my weekly chores, like mowing the lawn and taking out the trash.

Some people do grind, add supplements, etc., and do the whole lot once a month. My cats prefer the bone-in pieces and I don't have a giant freezer to accommodate them, so whatever. It works for me and I got used to it.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Cat

I feed commercially prepared raw. I use Primal mostly...frozen raw and dehydrated raw. I have used stella and chewy and Nature's variety also. I love the convenience and I keep the dehyrated on hand in case I forgot to take out the frozen the night before. I do add in raw rabbit chunks with bone and organs about twice a week(just started this a month ago). It took some time, but they seem to really be getting into the raw now. good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-29-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

ok good...I would do anything for my baby girl but in general I'm a pretty lazy person so if there is an easy already done for me option, that's what I would prefer

I went ahead and grabbed a 16oz tub of the Rad Cat lamb frozen food on the way home today...I'm assuming it will be thawed out by morning and we can see how it goes! I went with lamb because Ive read that the more "not typical" protein types are best and since I've always chosen chicken varieties of her food all her life and she's always had tummy troubles I figured I should skip trying the chicken version. any thoughts on this?

also, my kitty does love her kibble...and I have seen the kibble versions of Natures Variety but I'm unsure about trying it because isn't that just going back to an overly long list of ingredients? isn't the point of going raw to take out all that junk? or do I possibly just not know enough about this product?

thank you for the replies...keep em coming...we have lots of questions!

xoxo
robin & madi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page