Natures Variety Instinct- kibble - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Natures Variety Instinct- kibble

we are still in our first week of transitioning over to a commercial raw diet. we went with Rad Cat frozen lamb and she LOVES it. however...she also LOVES her kibble and has always had kibble as free feed her whole life (she's 7). its hard for me to wrap my brain around and enforce no more kibble. I feel like the chewing is good for her teeth and Ive read a lot of people giving their cats raw bones for this reason but...I just don't see myself being someone to just toss the cat a chicken wing... I would be beyond nervous that she would choke on it.

SO... in saying that, I see that Natures Variety has a kibble version with freeze dried raw bits in it. what are your thoughts on this? I would love to be able to still give her small amounts of some kibble when I'm at work and have long hours away from home but I somewhat feel like ANY kibble is just another long list of mixed ingredients that might not be so great for her tummy. (sorry I forgot to mention we went raw due to her being diagnosed with IBS and having had diarrhea for months on end...beyond happy to report that this morning was her first partially formed poop in months & we haven't even transitioned 100% yet!!!)

anyway...just wondered if anyone has a IBS kitty that is able to eat any type of kibble without issue and if you've tried the Natures Variety in particular. thanks in advance!

mommy robin & baby madi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 05:33 AM
Premier Cat

I've never tried the freeze dried kibble of NV, nor have I ever had an IBD kitty, but I do feed a combination of raw and canned only to my two cats.

I think the reason most people choose to feed raw because they believe it's the most biologically appropriate diet for carnivores, and it closely resembles what they'd eat naturally in the wild (small live prey like mice, small rodents, rabbits, birds, etc). The whole issue we have with kibbles are that it's just so dehydrating for a cat to consume, and causes a whole variety of medical issues later: FLUTD, kidney disease, diabetes, and even IBD. (See link below) Kibble has only 10% water, canned has 78%. Cats that consume raw also benefits from a high protein diet that has very minimal carbs and "fillers" you see in the dry. It's also high in moisture, similar to canned. Cats typically get all of their moisture from their prey in the wild, so they have a very low thirst drive to begin with. Our domesticated felines are also descendents of a desert cat.

Kibbles do not have any effect on cleaning teeth, I'm sorry to say. Vets who say this are relying on outdated info. Raw meaty bones will clean teeth nicely; imagine a cat's pointy teeth eating kibble vs gnawing on flesh of meat and bones--you'll definitely see how their mouths were designed to work!

If you're worried about your kitty choking on raw, cut or crush the wing/neck into smaller pieces. COOKED meat and bones are the only real hazards for choking, and cooking will destroy the natural enzymes and amino acids like taurine needed for a feline's diet, so you never want to cook meats anyway.

I don't have any guidance to give you on IBD kitties, but to me, it makes more sense to eliminate as much "junk" from their diet so you know exactly what is causing her issue. The more ingredients in their food, the tougher time you'll have figuring out what's causing her IBD. I'm glad that she likes the Rad Cat lamb.

Links with info on IBD and raw diet for felines:

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health)
Lisa Pierson's website has an extended article on the dry food, if you scroll to the top, plus much more info. It's a lot to take in, so go as slow as you need to.

Feline IBD: Nature and Treatment - Feline Nutrition

Dry food on teeth:
What Dry Food Does to Your Cat's Teeth - Feline Nutrition
Does Dry Food Clean the Teeth? | Little Big Cat
How to Control Tartar Build-up on Your Pet's Teeth

Last edited by TabbCatt; 06-04-2015 at 05:37 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

thank you for the links! I wish I had gotten more replies to this post...we went ahead and got a bag of the kibble w/freeze dried raw bits in it...of course she loves it. Ive only been giving her a very very small amount when I go to work because I'm not sure how her tummy will respond but so far there doesn't seem to be a problem. she did throw up after eating some of it last night but I think that was because she HOOVERED it like she'd been starved for weeks lol

anyway...I guess we'll just go forward and see how it plays out. thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Why not just buy freeze dried raw to leave out...they sell the freeze dried bits separately. So does Stella & Chewy's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 01:37 PM
Tom Cat

I got a sample of the Natural Instinct freeze dried raw. Are you supposed to use it "as is" or rehydrate it?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Tom Cat

I use it as is and feed it as a treat!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Tom Cat

I tried using it right out of the bag and both cats would not touch it. I thought maybe I was supposed to add water to it... Ok will try again. Thanks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

oooh...I didn't know they had that. I don't think they had it at the place I went so I didn't know... however I will start looking for it. those freeze dried bits are her favorite part of the kibble! thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:11 PM
Senior Cat

See I saw this at the shops too, and wondered about it as there wasn't much information on the packet about what it actually is, how much of it is kibble, how much is freeze dried raw... I assume they're trying to offset the kibble with the raw, somehow making it better than just 100% kibble?

I may be completely off here, but surely you can't feed even freeze dried raw with kibble? Maybe I'm wrong? I'm confused now lol.

Here's a link if anyone's interested:
Instinct Raw Boost Grain-Free Kibble Cat Food - Chicken | Instinct Pet Food for Dogs and Cats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page