Raw food and using the microwave - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Raw food and using the microwave

I've been feeding raw for several months now, and it's always been a cumbersome process to reheat the food. I put aside meal portions in glass bowls in a separate freezer. They thaw for a day in the fridge before being thrown in a hotpot of water to warm up to acceptable temperature (a VERY narrow window for picky cats!) The whole ritual is a royal pain for both me and the cats.

Now I'm wondering... has anyone had success simply using the microwave? I do understand if you're not super careful it will cook the bones or meat. But I have an old-fashioned microwave with the little power knob that you can turn down to "low" or even "defrost." Does anyone have experience with just microwaving their raw food to warm it to "mouse" temperature?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 05:59 AM
Cat

My understanding of it was that it shouldn't be done because even defrosting you'll still start to cook some of the meat a little (most likely around the edges) and I've heard that removes some of the nutritional value.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 10:41 AM
Cat

I understand your plight. I use frozen nuggets and I too put them in glass containers in the fridge to thaw out. I have done the microwave thing a couple of times, but I don't put it on defrost. I put it on level 1 for 20 seconds and then turn the nuggets over and do it again. It warmed it up enough so that the picky eaters wouldn't turn their noses up at it. Mind you, I don't mean that I do this to the frozen nuggets, just when they have been thawed in the fridge and i need to warm them up a little. But I find that it's just as easy to put a little warm water in the sink and sit the whole container in it for 20-30 minutes. I feel better about doing that than microwaving it. I usually put it in the sink and then go get ready for work or do a few things around the house in the afternoon. Even then, it's sometimes still cold in the middle, but not so bad that they won't eat it. Sometimes, one of them will just leave it in their bowl for a little while and then go back to it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well, after some trial and error it's been working. I still don't microwave anything with a bone in it. But for a bowl of gizzards and hearts or a "snack" of raw chicken breast, it works just fine, so long as the food is thawed and not frozen. I'm beginning to get a better feel for how long it takes to properly warm versus cook the meat after a few "accidents". LOL
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Premier Cat

I just prefer to use the toaster oven on the lowest setting to warm their dishes up if I have to. I can't really control how evenly it heats things up in a microwave, plus I've got stainless steel dishes that my cats use. I suppose I could place their food for heating on a seperate dinner plate first, but I'm lazy and don't want an added dish to clean.

If it works for you and your cats, and there's no bone content you're cooking, it sounds fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page